Install Vista BC on Lion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by yettimillan, Aug 13, 2011.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

Hi,

If I were to create a partition not using BC. Then install Vista onto it, then using a snow leopard disk to install the BC tools.

Can this be a workaround?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can even create the partition with BCA. Just install manually using the Alt/Option key at every boot to Windows. If your machine originally shipped with SL you should be fine.

B

3. BacklitKeyboard macrumors newbie

Great so that means if I already have a Boot Camp installation of XP, and upgrade OS X to Lion. And then if I mess up XP, I can boot from my XP disk and format Boot Camp partition and overwrite with a fresh install? Am I right? :rolleyes: Oh, and the drivers on the SL disk, will they still work??

Thanks!! :)

:apple:BK

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They should.

The only complication in the mix is that Lion now uses two partitions by default and this complicates the hybrid GPT/MBR partition scheme.

B

5. mdgm macrumors 6502a

That should still work. If you make a backup image of your XP partition you should be able to restore that too if you prefer. I cloned my XP partition from my old disk onto my new SSD. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1213346

I assume that something like this should be possible for Vista as well (though there may be a few differences in the steps).