install web cam

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluebark, Dec 22, 2009.

1. bluebark macrumors newbie

I am trying to install a web cam and i am not sure how to do it. When i plug in the usb i do see it listed as a usb device but it will not work with skype etc. I have tried this on my macbook pro and a macbook G4. Do i need to install a driver for it perhaps? if so how would i do this?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.
    No.
    Maybe.

More information is needed.

What webcam model are you talking about, what Apple laptops do you use?
    What software came with it?

A MacBook Pro has already a webcam installed, the iSight.
    A MacBook too. But if you mean "iBook G4" by MacBook G4 then there is no iSight/webcam integrated like in all the Intel laptops form Apple.

Also, what Mac OS X version are you running on those Macs?

Some of this information can be found out via About This Mac:
    [​IMG]

and System Profiler
    [​IMG]

3. bluebark thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBookPro3,1
    OS X 10.4.11
    this has the built in camera

powerbook G4 version 6.8
    this is the one that wish to use webcam on.

it did come with a CD but no instructions for the MAC OS and i am not sure how i would install it etc under OS X. There is a file all mac.sit in the drivers folder of the CD.

the webcam is called a speed link magnetic webcam.

4. musukosan macrumors regular

Did you try going to the manufacturer's website of the web cam and see if they have Mac drivers available to download?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The .sit file is a StuffIT archive, which you can expand by copying it to your Desktop (or other place on your internal HDD) and then double clicking on it.
    If it needs a program to expand the .sit file, you can get Stuffit Expander for free here (but you have to register first) or you can try the Unarchiver first, which is also free.

If it is the following webcam
    [​IMG]
    you can also get drivers here: http://www.speed-link.com/?p=3&cat=2D&pid=15979&paus=1&anc=sw383#sw

It may be that the minimum system requirements are Mac OS X 10.4.x though.

6. bluebark thread starter macrumors newbie

I have downloaded the drivers they have listed-just not sure how to install them in OS X-i am just switched to Mac's hence this question may seem very simple to most of you.

7. bluebark thread starter macrumors newbie

so should i use the stuffit expander then? the setup.exe file wont open on the G4 and on my Pro it just opens Fusion for some reason.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

.exe files are meant for Windows, not Mac OS, therefore the file called Mac.sit.

I just extracted the .sit file with the help of the Unarchiver, opened the .DMG (Disk Image, which will mount upon double clicking and be visible under Devices in the Finder Sidebar) that was extracted and there is one installer, one uninstaller and one read me with the following text:

SN9C201 and SN9C220 WebCam Driver Install 1.0 for Mac OS X
    May 12, 2005

This README file contains important information you should know about SN9C201 and SN9C202 WebCam Driver Install for Mac OS X. Please carefully read it before you install this software.

System Requirements:
    1. Mac OS X version 10.1 or later(10.4 compatible).
    2. PowerPC Macintosh G3/G4/G5.
    3. Minimum 128MB RAM.
    4. Require QuickTime 6.5.1 or later on Mac OS X 10.3.

Installation Instructions:
    None.

Known Issues and Bugs:
    1. This driver supports HV7131R, MI0360, MI1300, MI1310,OV7630, OV9630, OV9650 and ICM107B sensor.

And be sure to browse the following sites to get to know Mac OS X a little bit better:
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ and http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

9. bluebark thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help as this will now work-once i figure out what the password is for the G4 ;-)