Install Win7 off a USB drive to an iMac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by drayon, Apr 15, 2010.

1. drayon macrumors 6502

Anyone tried to restore a Win7.iso installer (with Disk Utility in 10.6) to a FAT32 or NTFS partition on a USB flash drive then try to install from this after booting from it rather than installing from optical media?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. ssn637 macrumors 6502

I must be doing something wrong...

MacBook Pro 13" 2010 with Windows 7 installed on SSD in OptiBay and Mac OS X 10.6.3 on HDD in main bay. I can boot from a Windows 7 installation disc using an external USB drive (not the MacBook Air superdrive, strangely enough) but would like to be able to perform future clean installations of the SSD via a USB flash drive. I followed the guide here:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-c...-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/

But when I reboot the MacBook the Flash Drive isn't recognized while pressing the ALT key. Do I need to install rEFIt to get this to work or is there an additional step in Command Prompt that I'm missing to prepare the USB flash drive for booting on the MacBook?