install Windows 10 or not? ( Bootcamp)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Closingracer, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I have a 256GB SSD with 188GB of space left and wondering is it worth installing Windows 10 with about 75GB of space towards it. I dow have a windows laptop but its huge. Anyways I don't "need" windows 10 on this but I would like to have it incase I need some windows specific apps and would play a few light games on it. OR would I be better off just using OS X on this? its a 2015 Macbook pro 13 inch.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I have Windows 10 on my 2015 13" rMBP and it runs great. If you need it and you have space for the BootCamp partition, go for it.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unless your apps are very demanding, virtualization will work quite well.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

I've never been able to install windows via bootcamp.

5. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

If I decide on Windows I would want bootcamp. I would play some games on Windows since it will run better. Games like Sims 4 and etc

6. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

My issue is more with storage than anything else. Would it be economical to use bootcamp when you don't "NEED" it? More of a desire than a need

7. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

70 gb is a bit tight for a windows install for gaming.

I'd not bother, and limit gaming to stuff you can get for Mac on steam instead. Yes, it will limit your selection a bit, but blowing 70 GB on a 256 GB drive to only be able to fit a couple of games is a big chunk of space for not a big benefit if you ask me.

Also, the 13" MacBooks aren't great for gaming anyway whether or not they're running Windows or OS X.

2c.

edit:
    I guess an option may be to install games to an external drive within Windows, but yeah....the 13" machines aren't gaming powerhouses anyway so...

For the few apps you might need Windows for, i'd install it in a VM, you can get away without allocating quite so much space to it via thin provisioning, and don't need to reboot for it either. Plus you can copy/move the VM if need be to an external drive to free up space either temporarily or permanently, something that's a lot more painful to do with bootcamp.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Sims 4 is not demanding at all, it'll run just fine in a virtual machine. The system requirements list an Intel GMA X4500, which came out back in '08. If that's the only game you're into, or if it's the most demanding of the bunch, bootcamp would be a waste of space.

9. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't want VM Tbh and nothing is going to change that opinion.

10. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

Why?

If you CAN run things in a VM you get a lot of benefits over physical hardware:

1. no need to reboot - you can run Windows/Windows Apps and your OS X apps at the same time
    2. you can snapshot the system so that you can roll back in case of failed updates, to test things, etc.
    3. the disk space consumed can be less because you can allocate say 70 GB to Windows VM, but it will only consume what is actually used within Windows - if that amount is 30 GB, you have 40 GB still available from the 70 for OS X
    The only reason to use boot camp really is if the performance is not good enough.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Whatever floats your boat. I personally think you're being bullheaded. Unless you need Windows for another, unstated program, you're simply eating away your storage space for virtually no performance gain, and are adding on the inconveniences that come with bootcamping a Mac. I'm only seeing disadvantages to bootcamp in your situation right now.

12. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

Someone on this forum was able to run GTA 5 High settings at 2880x1800 60-50fps after installing the correct drivers so they're not bad at gaming, although he had the 15 inch model. I don't if he had the R9 m370x in it.

13. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

With that frame rate i'm pretty sure you can assume it had the R9 in it.

(i have a 13" 2015 machine with the HD6100 and have gamed on it).

14. lsh macrumors 6502a

I've run with 60. As stated by others, the issue will be the space you need for the games you want to run.

I also found it was hard to upgrade with only 60.

I run windows because I have some apps that only run on Windows. I do use VMWare and prefer that I largely use my Mac for storage regardless of the environment I'm running in.