Install Windows 7 Via Bootcamp using an External USB Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Doju, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Hey guys, I have the Windows 7 .iso from Microsoft, but I can't burn it to a DVD as it's too large. I do have a 1TB external HDD, though.

Is there a way I can put the .iso on that, and when I go to set up windows it installs off the drive instead of a disk?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Follow one of the many guides for creating an installer thumb drive. like: http://blogs.technet.com/aviraj/archive/2009/02/01/installing-windows-7-using-usb-thumb-drive.aspx

I don't know if you can keep other stuff on the drive so 1TB might be too much.

Which ISO did you get? Most of the ones I've seen were well under 4 GB.

B

3. nicklasmp macrumors member

sry for bumping this old thread, but haven't come across any similiar. Can you make a partion on your external harddrive and use that to install windows from?

I don't have an USB flash drive available - but have 2 external harddrives.

4. papertigress macrumors newbie

I'm also really interested in an answer to this question. I want to Bootcamp some Windows on my Mac mini. I have a Windows .iso, an external hard drive, no CD drive & no Flash drive. I use cloud storage & I'd rather not buy a Flash drive just for this operation. They're "only $10" but I'm poor & would never use it again.