Install Windows 8.1 on Late 2013 rMBP 15"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dicholscrn, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Dicholscrn macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Couple questions as my MacRumors and Google search has left me frustrated to the point that Im probably reading the answers, but not comprehending them.

I have never installed Windows on any Mac (Bootcamp, VMFusion, Parallels) but decided to try to install via bootcamp to play some games on my newly acquired machine.

I have found some guides on installing on a Haswell but am unable to make it past the first couple steps because I don't even know how to get the Windows ISO on a USB! I have 8.1 full sitting in front of me and honestly when I bought it I thought I could use my iMacs remote disk for the install, but unless Im also missing how to do this, it is not possible. I then figured Id just download the ISO and then use the key from my hard copy but I can't even find where to download the full version as all I can find is the 8.1 upgrade. Can someone point me in the right direction to download the correct 8.1 ISO that I will need to install via Bootcamp.

I MIGHT have more questions after that but trying to get past this step 1 hurdle.....

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

First, the Win 8.1 ISO download from Microsoft is a full version and not just for upgrade, you can also use it for clean install under Boot Camp but you need to use a computer running 64-bit Windows to download the 64-bit Win 8.1 ISO as clearly outlined in the Option 2 of this tutorial. Since you already have an iMac with DVD drive, you could follow this link to create an ISO file from your Windows DVD disc.

3. Dicholscrn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you VERY much.

Had my daughters 5th bday party today and afterward very tiredly started searching and like I said, was just frustrating the heck out of myself even though I knew I was probably staring at the solution/s.

Again, very much appreciated.

Ryan