Install Windows 8 through EFI boot?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by arashb, Jul 14, 2012.

1. arashb macrumors 6502

Has anyone done so yet? I would assume it's possible. Use gparted or disk utility to create the extra partition and then use rEFIt/rEFInd to boot the disk. But are the drivers somehow supported?

2. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

I was able to do this when I first got my rmbp - unfortunately it bluescreens on the 2nd boot of the setup process. I wasn't able to progress or work through it so I went back to traditional boot camp. I realized that AHCI is now natively enabled by apple, which was my main reason for wanting to efi boot (to get trim working so as not to harm SSD performance over time) so I haven't revisited efi boot...

3. arashb thread starter macrumors 6502

Well at least it's good to hear it works, I am still very interested to get EFI to work when Windows 8 is released. Did you use bootcamp to create the second partition or disk utility?

4. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

No I think I was only able to make it work by blasting away the whole disk and then using disk part to create a gpt partition. Had to Internet-recover lion afterwards

5. mac-hacks, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

mac-hacks macrumors regular

That's best solution at moment if you want W8 on same GPT Partition as OSX. When 1st Beta was release, you could leave 2nd Partition UN-formated "Empty Space". Not sure if that still works. Several Issue. I just started tinker with New Microsoft ADK, I might have solution with autounattend, I'll let you know.

check out this thread concerning Windows booting EFI on Mac's.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=696523

6. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I have Tried to boot Windows 8 normally but I get just a blinking underscore. I tried with EFI and it went all the way to loading files and finished but then just went to a black screen.

7. mac-hacks, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

mac-hacks macrumors regular

I use new A.D.K. to inject latest updates for Windows 8 Release Preview and made simple autounattend.xml. ".iso" boots and installs fine with Parallel. I install mLion to partition 1 & formatted partition 2 as "empty space" Use 7-Zip to extract .iso to FLASH Drive formatted as FAT32. Format Empty Space from Windows install Menu. Installation shows 100% finish, then when it should reboot. I get Error Message "could not update computer's boot configuration" Which basically tells me BCD not communicating properly. Install process is asking permission to change the order.

* I do not have WINRE partition with autounattend.xml
    * I check EFI (Micosoft & Boot folder's are there)
    * Windows 8 make temp folder in /EFI/Temp

disklayout.txt

SrtTrail.txt

any suggestions on why or what is causing Boot Manger error ?

8. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

bootcamp worked fine.

9. mac-hacks macrumors regular

using BOOTCAMP is not inststalling Windows 7/8 with EFI.

10. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I know....just throwing it out there.

11. mac-hacks macrumors regular