Install Windows Applications On Mac Via Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndrewVenner, Mar 13, 2008.

1. AndrewVenner macrumors member

Hi, I was just wondering if you could actually install Windows applications on Parallels, or just run them. Like if you closed down Parallels, would you still have your programs and files still intact, or do you have to start over?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You install them. When you restart Parallels, everything is as you left it.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Do you mean can you run Windows applications even after Parallels is shut down? If so, then no, you have to have Windows running to use them.

Or did you mean--as the last person assumed--will all your Windows programs still be there w/ your information and such when you reopen Parallels? If so then, yes. When you startup Windows again, everything is exactly as you left it with programs and files and everything.

Oh, and go for VMWare Fusion ;)

4. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

If you want to run Windows applications without Windows, try CrossOver Mac. I have not tried this, but others have had some success.

5. AndrewVenner thread starter macrumors member

No No NO No No. I just wanted to know if the state of the OS would be saved if I quit the program. I don't need to use Cross-Over Mac. Thanks though.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Yes, it makes a virtual hard drive on your hard drive, so all the changes you make to the virtual machine are permanent (well, until you delete them :)), so nothing to worry about there.

7. AndrewVenner thread starter macrumors member

Actually, now I am curious. Does anyone know which program is better? I read that some programs have compatibility issues with CrossOver. But it's a million times cheaper than buying parallels and Windows.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

Crossover is $60
    Parallels (or VMWare Fusion) is $80
    A Windows XP Pro license is $99 (last i checked)

So... it is like, half as much, not a million times cheaper :)