Install Windows on a different hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ayman86, May 25, 2010.

1. ayman86 macrumors newbie

Currently we have a mac pro with 3 1tb hard drives in raid configuration. I would like to installed windows on the 3rd hard drive. Installing via bootcamp doesnt work as it will only install on the same hard drive as macos.

I tried to install windows by booting the cd but it doesnt see any of the hard drives. Is this due to the raid configuration? If so, how would i go about it

I even formatted a partition on the 3rd hard drive in fat so windows would see it but no luck

Any one know how I can resolve this?

thanks,
    ayman

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Eliminate the RAID configuration on the disk onto which you wish to install windows. Boot from windows CD and format the drive, then install.

3. ayman86 thread starter macrumors newbie

how would i go about in removing the raid configuration? hardware or by software means?

<-- big n00b

4. ayman86 thread starter macrumors newbie

any help?

anyone have the raid drivers so i can use that to install windows

edit: i just tried bootcamp and it i get the same conclusion. windows doesnt see any hard drives when trying to install it.

whats the point of bootcamp if it doesnt have the necessary drivers to install windows?

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

It does, the problem is that Apple probably doesn't intend for it to be used on RAID configurations and therefore never built much support for it. Bootcamp is mostly targeted for basic partition usage.

This page refers to X serves, but the the KB talks about Bootcamp in general - in short, Raid via hardware or software is not supported.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I have Windows 7 happily running natively on a dedicated HD in bay 3. Drive is not in a RAID and it still blows most Widows-only machines out of the water.