Install Windows Phone 7 on an iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by VaatiKaiba, Nov 12, 2010.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Right, I'm not very hacker-y myself, but I do think that WP7 looks like a really interesting OS, and I'd love to try it out - except that I have a perfectly good iPhone, and I'm not really willing to splash out €500+ on another phone. So, is it possible to install it on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch?

Thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In theory it may be possible, but it is very likely to never happen.

3. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Ask for two more buttons and maybe then it might be possible.

4. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Yes of course.

5. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Em.... Any instructions or guides on how to do it if that's the case?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It can't be done. That post is incorrect.

7. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I don't think you can install the Windows Phone 7 OS itself, but maybe there will be a theme on Cydia soon.

8. Brradley macrumors member

Of course it's possible, someone's just got to work out how to.

9. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Was someone able to install Android?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes.

11. SoraLimit macrumors regular

It's true that you can get android, but it's only for the iPhone 2G/3G and the first gen iPod touch. Anything higher is not supported, so I highly doubt that Windows Phone 7 will work.

12. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Android was possible because the source code for the majority of the Android OS is out in the open. So it's possible to modify it without assistance from Google. The part that takes a long time and is a lot of work is reverse-engineering the iPhone and iPod touch hardware, and then crafting Android drivers for each piece of hardware that needs to work.

In theory, Windows Phone 7 could be ported to the iPhone and iPod touch. In practice, it will never happen. I'm sure the OS was built to be modular with respect to hardware support given that Microsoft wants a lot of phone manufacturers to use it on a lot of phones, so it has to be flexible and have a hardware abstraction layer of some sort with cross-platform support as well for whatever CPUs phone manufacturers want to use. But those phone manufacturers are paying Microsoft a hefty license fee for the privilege of using their software, and they are surely getting engineering support from them in return, too. Maybe someone can prove me wrong, but I'm guessing that all documentation about crafting WP7 hardware drivers, as well as the software kit necessary to do so, are hidden behind walls of NDAs and other legal red tape, available only to paying customers.

-- Nathan