Install Windows with bootcamp using External hard drive

Aceuniverse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I Want to INSTALL Windows 7 RTM using a external hard drive. I do not want to run bootcamp on the external hard drive just install it using windows 7 installation files on the external hard drive.
:apple:

Aceuniverse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Windows won't boot from an external drive. It has to be internal.
Just to Clarify I don't want to run it on my external hard drive. After installation i will run it on my internal hard drive. I just want to install it using my external hard drive.

Comment

dirwood

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
I'm not sure it's possible to boot off of the external drive to start the install.
You can try plugging in the drive and holding the option key when you boot, to see if it shows up as a selectable option.

Comment

dirwood

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
After the first reboot it doesn't need to boot off the external, all the necessary installation files will have been copied to the internal drive.
The issues are 1) whether the the computer will allow booting from an external drive, and 2) the installation program itself will be ok with this

Comment

dirwood

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
I'm assuming there's an issue with burning it to a DVD/booting from a DVD hence the OP wanting to install from an external drive.

It appears you are thinking the OP is wanting to install TO an external drive when that's not the case. They want to install FROM an external drive.

Comment

rpattiso

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Can you can use Toast to create a startup disk drive for the harddrive. the computer will detect as a dvd/cd.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.