Install Windows with bootcamp using External hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Aceuniverse, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Aceuniverse macrumors newbie

I Want to INSTALL Windows 7 RTM using a external hard drive. I do not want to run bootcamp on the external hard drive just install it using windows 7 installation files on the external hard drive.
    :apple:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Windows won't boot from an external drive. It has to be internal.

3. Aceuniverse thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to Clarify I don't want to run it on my external hard drive. After installation i will run it on my internal hard drive. I just want to install it using my external hard drive.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Unless its x64, you should be able to boot off the install DVD and format the external and install but the install will want to reboot off the external which won't happen.

5. dirwood macrumors member

I'm not sure it's possible to boot off of the external drive to start the install.
    You can try plugging in the drive and holding the option key when you boot, to see if it shows up as a selectable option.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That is the problem. The install process reboots a few times and when it reboots it can't reboot off the external. I don't think it can be done.

7. dirwood macrumors member

After the first reboot it doesn't need to boot off the external, all the necessary installation files will have been copied to the internal drive.
    The issues are 1) whether the the computer will allow booting from an external drive, and 2) the installation program itself will be ok with this

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

But Windows won't boot from the external in the first place. Only DVD or internal. Why not burn the iso to a bootable DVD?

9. dirwood macrumors member

I'm assuming there's an issue with burning it to a DVD/booting from a DVD hence the OP wanting to install from an external drive.

It appears you are thinking the OP is wanting to install TO an external drive when that's not the case. They want to install FROM an external drive.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I realized this after my third post. Doh! Can't do it on a Mac because the install device needs to boot first and Windows can't do this on Macs (EFI?).

11. rpattiso macrumors newbie

Can you can use Toast to create a startup disk drive for the harddrive. the computer will detect as a dvd/cd.