Install without admin name / pword

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by myusername, May 14, 2008.

1. myusername macrumors member

myusername

This is in Tiger. Does anyone have a valid reason why I can download an application from some sites and it needs my admin name and password and then other software I can just download and run the installer ? Someone asked me that question and I was caught without a reason why some installers need user name / password and some do not

-r

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Depends on what it is doing. If it is running an installer program modifying something you don't have permissions for (such as messing around in /Library) then it will need your admin password. If it is just installing something in your home folder then it won't need an admin password. If it is a drag and drop install and you're the admin it also won't need an admin password unless you are putting it somewhere you don't have write privileges.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yeah...
    And some apps don't even need installing: just copy from disk image and done.

IMHO, I wish all apps needed an installer which required an admin username/password to install. First of all, it makes sure of the fact that the app is installed correctly in the /Applications directory, and that an authorised user can only perform this action.
    I have seen so many times that users download an app, say Microsoft Messenger, and simply dragged the icon from the contents of the mounted disk image into the dock. So, every time that user opens MSN, it mounts the disk image firts... :rolleyes:
    Very messy.

4. reallyDUDE macrumors newbie

Im trying to install google voice for gmail phone on my buddy's comp. he wrote down his password for me but i lost the damn paper. He's out of the country and doesn't have an international phone. does anyone know a way to install without the password. FYI its a .mpkg file. it opens a installer window. the first option is "destination select" i thought if i could send it to the home folder it wouldn't need a password, but it only lets me select "Macintosh HD" any advise?

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

You need the password to install it. That is the end of it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the strength of OSX is it's security not installing something you don't authorize. You cannot get around this. Your best bet is to wait foe buddy to return from his trip and let him install his own software