Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdcrow711

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
DC
I have a base model 1.6 with the 80gb coming right now because the 1000 SSD was just too much for my wallet. I have an external HD for the music collection photos and videos so space isnt a big concern. Do you think the 32gb samsung ssd 1.8in could be easily installed.

I have found it online for only 400.

-Jeff

rsbell

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Murrieta, CA
I have a base model 1.6 with the 80gb coming right now because the 1000 SSD was just too much for my wallet. I have an external HD for the music collection photos and videos so space isnt a big concern. Do you think the 32gb samsung ssd 1.8in could be easily installed.

I have found it online for only 400.

-Jeff

As long as it is PATA (which I believe it is), it looks to be a VERY easy install.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Hold on...this is huge! Previously, swapping this into a MBPro caused major sleep issues and more.

Has this been confirmed by anyone Gizmodo?

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
Hold on...this is huge! Previously, swapping this into a MBPro caused major sleep issues and more.

No one has done it yet to my knowledge. I dont see why this would cause problems though. :confused:

jdcrow711

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
DC

Well my hopes were up and then down. anyone else had the thought to make this same swap?

Also is there a thread anywhere about the mbp problems with this?

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
I put a 64GB SATA SSD drive in my Macbooks (1 core duo, 1 core 2 duo) and both had sleep issues and wifi issues.

Putting them back in with regular drives solved the problem so I sold the Solid State drives and that was that.

Not sure if the 10.5.2 fixes those problem but I'm without a drive to test it now! Anyone out there with SSD drive ready?

jdcrow711

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
DC
good thought on the 10.5.2, the review units that shipped 10.5.1 are all HDD. i hadnt heard any problem on the sleep issues but also figured it cant be a real problem if apple is shipping units with SSD in them why couldnt i install my own.

however being someone who currently only uses and doesnt crack open computers i didnt know about the install and wouldnt have even thought about SATA vs. PATA if i had ordered one already.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
I put a 64GB SATA SSD drive in my Macbooks (1 core duo, 1 core 2 duo) and both had sleep issues and wifi issues.

Putting them back in with regular drives solved the problem so I sold the Solid State drives and that was that.

Not sure if the 10.5.2 fixes those problem but I'm without a drive to test it now! Anyone out there with SSD drive ready?

As Apple ships the SSD drive as an option I am sure that they have solved the issues...

C

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
I'm ordering a 1.8 macbook with standard HD. upgrade to SSD in a few months, and then sell it to get revision 2 (or 3). will get a better price as it will seem like the "top model" from the word go. Hopefully i only stand to lose $600 or so.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I imagine that for the purpose of reducing costs the drives may be 'swappable' on the MBAir platform. Sleep and WiFi issues seem more OSX related so yes, perhaps that is one aspect of 10.5.2.

jus407

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
I would like to know how this goes for you as i am interested in installing an ssd in the near future into my MBP, please keep us updated.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I read somewhere that you have to be careful of cheap SDDs -- a certain type is slow/poor quality, compared to the more expensive version. I think it was stated in the newegg comment sections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.