Install your own SSD in the MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdcrow711, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

I have a base model 1.6 with the 80gb coming right now because the 1000 SSD was just too much for my wallet. I have an external HD for the music collection photos and videos so space isnt a big concern. Do you think the 32gb samsung ssd 1.8in could be easily installed.

I have found it online for only 400.

-Jeff

2. rsbell macrumors regular

rsbell

As long as it is PATA (which I believe it is), it looks to be a VERY easy install.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

yes it very easy will be taking pics and posting it the minute we get it :)

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Hold on...this is huge! Previously, swapping this into a MBPro caused major sleep issues and more.

Has this been confirmed by anyone Gizmodo?

5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

No one has done it yet to my knowledge. I dont see why this would cause problems though. :confused:

6. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

Well my hopes were up and then down. anyone else had the thought to make this same swap?

Also is there a thread anywhere about the mbp problems with this?

7. island macrumors 6502

island

I put a 64GB SATA SSD drive in my Macbooks (1 core duo, 1 core 2 duo) and both had sleep issues and wifi issues.

Putting them back in with regular drives solved the problem so I sold the Solid State drives and that was that.

Not sure if the 10.5.2 fixes those problem but I'm without a drive to test it now! Anyone out there with SSD drive ready?

8. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

good thought on the 10.5.2, the review units that shipped 10.5.1 are all HDD. i hadnt heard any problem on the sleep issues but also figured it cant be a real problem if apple is shipping units with SSD in them why couldnt i install my own.

however being someone who currently only uses and doesnt crack open computers i didnt know about the install and wouldnt have even thought about SATA vs. PATA if i had ordered one already.

9. Catch macrumors 6502

As Apple ships the SSD drive as an option I am sure that they have solved the issues...

C

10. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

I'm ordering a 1.8 macbook with standard HD. upgrade to SSD in a few months, and then sell it to get revision 2 (or 3). will get a better price as it will seem like the "top model" from the word go. Hopefully i only stand to lose $600 or so.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I imagine that for the purpose of reducing costs the drives may be 'swappable' on the MBAir platform. Sleep and WiFi issues seem more OSX related so yes, perhaps that is one aspect of 10.5.2.

12. jus407 macrumors member

I would like to know how this goes for you as i am interested in installing an ssd in the near future into my MBP, please keep us updated.

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147021

that one would prolly work

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

are they same size?
    would this void your warranty?

15. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

This is a great thread, I'm really curious about this question as well. :confused:

16. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I'm almost positive it would void your warranty. ;)

17. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I read somewhere that you have to be careful of cheap SDDs -- a certain type is slow/poor quality, compared to the more expensive version. I think it was stated in the newegg comment sections.