installation CD removed, but icon remains on desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghanwani, Feb 22, 2014.

1. ghanwani, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I'm running OS X 10.6.8. (Yes, it's old!) Other specs of the machine are in my signature.

Software is up to date. Checking for updates shows there are no new updates that need to be applied.

I recently bought TurboTax 2013 and installed it today. TurboTax is now in my Applications folder and can be launched from there.

Upon installation, I couldn't eject the CD the normal way from the Finder -- the CD was greyed-out in the Finder. So I used the Eject button on the keyboard and that worked.

However, after doing that, the greyed-out icon from the Finder is gone, but there is an icon for TurboTax showing the CD on my desktop. If I try and drag it to the Trash, the Trash turns into the Eject icon. If I continue dragging it, I see the word "EJECT" pop up, but ultimately nothing happens and the icon remains on the desktop.

Anyone have any other suggestions for removing the icon from my desktop?

Thanks.

Update:

Rebooting the machine got rid of the icon from the desktop. (Help, my mac is turning into a PC!)

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Likely there was a disk image on the CD that was still being referenced. There are other ways to find this & shut it down but restarting is definitely an easy one.

3. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Any pointers to the other ways?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Check in Disk Utility for a mounted disk image, eject it from there.