Installation failed, lost disk

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Tex-Twil, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    during the installation of Mavericks, I got the message

when I restart, the only boot option I have is 10.8 recovery and Mavericks installation. I cannot boot again to my "MacSSD" disk.

What are my options ? How can I backup the disk ?

cheers

2. Msyvc macrumors newbie

Ditto

My Maverick install on my mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro broke the same way. Thanks Apple. I'm away from my Time Machine so can't restore at the moment.

3. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Happened to me last night.

Boot into Safe Mode (hold shift after boot chime). A bunch of disk repair and other maintenance will run (took over half an hour on mine). Once you are in your 10.8, go ahead and attach a disk and do a full Time Machine backup (sounds like you didn't have one, so this may be your last chance, do it just in case)

Reboot normally.

The Mavericks installer will boot. With any luck, your disk is now in good enough shape for it to complete successfully.

If it doesn't, you now have a Time Machine backup to restore from.

4. justdave72 macrumors newbie

Happened to me, too. The Safe Mode trick doesn't work for me. Even holding the shift key, I get a circle with a line through it on the screen after the Apple logo disappears.

Guess I get to reformat and restore my backup. :(

5. Msyvc macrumors newbie

2nd try worked

Clicking Continue from the major fail message went through the install again and it worked. Took about 30-45 minutes again, with the "less than a minute" taking 5-10 minutes. It then went through a very long gray-screen reboot but did finally. I'm now installing additional updates. Whew!