Installation gone wrong?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jardins de Vin, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I reinstalled Mavericks today, from a USB flash drive.

This is how I've done it:

- I started the Mac while holding the alt key.
    - Several volumes appeared, I selected the USB flash drive with Mavericks on it
    - I came in the gray screen where you can use safari, disk utility, terminal or reinstall Mavericks.
    - I used disk utility to erase my SSD and my HDD.
    - I then clicked to install Mavericks

And now the weird parts:

- Mavericks started installing, it went pretty quickly, but got stuck at "less than one second remaining" (seen many people posting about this however)
    - Eventually it ended and I thought the installation was complete
    - But no, the Mac restarted itself and the installation started again it seems, this time it said 24 minutes remaining

This already happened last time I installed it (the same way). It ran fine except I had some core audio issues / Logic Pro issues, that's why I'm making a fresh install. Perhaps it's unrelated, but reinstalling logic did not help. But anyway that's another topic.

2. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You listed some observations, but no actual problem that I can see - So...
    The install works. If you are having a problem, can you tell us what that is?

You did say something about a Core Audio issue. What do you mean by that? Do you get error messages? When do they occur, and what are the messages that you see?

5. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

To be honest, I'm having so many problems with the Mac, I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't even know if the Mac is the issue, or the OS, or something else. That's why I'm trying to find the culprit now.

Reinstalling OS X was my attempt at finding out if OS X might be the issue. So I was wondering if that's how the installation is actually happening for other people too. :) If not, I'd like to try and find out why the installation is happening like this in my case, and if I manage to install OS X *normally*. Then, I'll have to troubleshoot again, to be able to exclude the system as the culprit 100% :p

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Well, tbh, up to now, nothing that you have asked about indicates any kind of problem - only some questions about your Mac Pro, and that it does things that you don't expect.

I suspect with the variation of graphics cards, and other internal or external devices that you can't really come up with a standard set of behaviors that will be identical on any two MacPros, and you just can't look at how it responds during a restart, or how it responds from a cold boot. Those two functions are slightly different, so the system may respond with slightly different cues during the boot.

The IMPORTANT question is, and this is where you can start:
    Are you having problems with using your system? Those problems might include (but not limited to):
    Freezes/lockup
    Apps crash unexpectedly
    Error messages that appear. These might be fairly random (no simple way to reproduce), or always happens at a specific point.
    Other symptoms, such as dramatic slowdowns, or unusual graphic effects on the screen, which might include odd colors or images on the screen, etc.
    Lastly, if the computer prevents you from doing your work, or gives you problems regardless of what you are doing - then, try to give some details about what you do, and what happens as a result.
    So - What is the computer doing (or not doing) that makes *your use* of the computer more difficult?

7. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Well if the installation didn't run as expected, I would definitely say that this is a problem - but I'm just not sure if that's the way it was meant to run, or not :)

I agree, but I'm not booting or restarting it - I just installed OS X and I had the feeling it didn't go as expected!

I could answer all of this but it would be very long, the list of "issues" is long and complicated, most people don't bother replying after that anymore and those that do usually get lost in all the details because it's so complicated. I don't even know if there's links between those different issues. That's why I decided I'll do this alone, step by step. :) So are you sure you want to know all of that? Haha

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

A few restarts on a fresh install WILL help. You will be accumulating cache files for your system, and the apps that you often use. 2 or 3 restarts MIGHT give you more comfort that your system really is working properly, so you can get to work.
    What kind of major apps do you use - and are they working OK now?

Yes - I DO want to know all of that (not laughing :D )
    The best way to do this is to just jump right in. You may get a few TL;DR - but that's also the nature of this forum.
    Just check that you don't simply repeat the same symptoms one after another. You could then just say:
    This happens, and the same thing happens once every minute - or everytime I click the mouse, or every time I open a new app, or something else.
    Performance issues (real draggy performance - or long pauses before something happens) are what you need to list. Which apps, how long does it happen, do you get error messages, etc.

You came here for some reason. If it is too complicated for someone else, then why did you even start by posting on this forum? Someone will help you. Maybe it's me... (I love self-flagellation :D )

9. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Well I've done already many restarts but this didn't help.

Alright, I'll start then, I'm very curious if you can handle this. :) And I warned you by the way. There's a reason why I'm trying to solve this alone!

So…

Problem #1)
    My first issue is with Logic Pro X. You must know, this is my work computer, this is the only thing it's really used for. With Logic Pro, I have the weird issue that the spinning beach ball appears at some points. That would be when loading a project, or when quitting Logic Pro. When starting Logic, it would open up instantly, and when closing a project, as well. (at this point, it's important to know the difference between opening/closing Logic and/or a project, that's not the same)

I troubleshooted the Mac and it seems to be a core audio issue. The spinning beach ball would also appear when changing the volume output source by ALT-clicking the volume icon in the menu bar or by changing settings. None of this is normal and it hints a more serious problem.

When I turn off the core audio in Logic Pro X, the problem is gone of course, but then there's no audio so I can't play back anything. When I remove all my plugins, the problem is gone when loading a project, but not when quitting Logic Pro.
    I reinstalled the Mac twice for this, but the problem is still here. Basically, everything was a fresh install. OS X was freshly installed, and so is Logic. No backups loaded, no files copied, nothing. And the problem still appears. So I thought it may be a hardware problem. But then, I wondered if I may not have installed Mavericks the wrong way, like, "unproperly", that's why I created this thread. :) The installation went weirdly after all and it might still be just a software issue.

Problem #2)
    I said it may be a hardware problem above. I was first thinking of the in built sound card first. When I had headphones connected to the Mac (directly, no interface) and put the volume very loud (without any audio or sound playing), I could hear weird artifacts and blips. As if something was wrong in there.
    But then, the Problem #1) can't come from this, because I use an external audio interface (RME Babyface), and that would automatically bypass the internal sound card. Yet the problem (#1) is still there when the Babyface is connected and selected as the audio output. The artifacts are gone when the sound goes through the Babyface however.

Problem #3)
    … is that my Cinema Display (it's the 27" LED model) sometimes plays a "white noise" sort of sound through it's speakers. For a while, it used to happen every time a sound was played. Let's say I changed the volume on the keyboard, then the Mac would play the short sound that you get when changing the volume. At this point, there would be a white noise sort of sound coming from the Cinema Display, for 30 seconds or so, before it would stop. That was very weird. Now it happens not as often anymore. A problem that I believe is linked to this, is that sometimes the volume controls on my keyboard are extremely laggy, the Mac only responds much much later. And there would be no sound coming out of the Display. Apparently many users have this and a solution that helped many of them was to kill the core audio in the terminal. This never really worked for me, I think only restarting ever worked. This may be linked to the other issues.

Problem #4)
    … is that I get an error in the Apple Hardware Test. It says something about a Temperature Sensor Error in the PCIe bay. Some people told me this is a normal behavior for my card, that the Mac just doesn't recognize it, even though it's a Mac Edition card. (it's a Sapphire HD 7950 3 GB)
    But someone else with the same Mac except in its 6 core version and the same, exact same card, didn't have this issue.
    Sometimes I get grey stripes coming across the screen very quickly, very shortly. A user on here (Macinsquatch) told me this is a sign for a failing graphic card. So I will try to bring the card back as I still have warranty.

I can imagine Problem #4 being solved easily if I change my graphic card. Or at least, I hope so. But how will this affect the problems… I have no idea where to start, or what it could be. It's not easy to troubleshoot any of this.

Now I'm curious if you made it through this block of text, and if yes, if you really have a solution ;) So far, nobody had one. But it's okay, I try to do it alone, step by step, by asking simple questions like - Is this the correct way a OS X installation is happening? - and then I take my conclusions from this, etc. etc. :)

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Only 4 items? I though your list was *long* :D
    Only you can say if I have a solution.
    caveat: I am not an audio/Logic user ...
    However - working my way back.
    #4 - graphics card. Even though it is sold as "Mac Edition", that doesn't mean that it provides all the features to allow the Mac hardware test to successfully test it. If you need to test the card, then Sapphire might have a diagnostic of some kind. You can't rely on Apple to test every piece of hardware that you might throw in to your MacPro. I bet the expert user MacVidCards may have a perspective on that.
    But, if you feel that your choice of graphics card is not working properly, then get it exchanged, could be a problem with your card, of course.
    Have you tried swapping in an actual Apple card (assuming you still have one)

#3 - the main point is "Laggy response" to the volume controls. You could watch your Activity Monitor when you get that delay, to see if there are large leaps in CPU use, or a change in the memory window, watching for a change in Memory Pressure color.

#2 - I don't think that you have any concern about odd noises when you choose to turn the volume all the way up, and have no audio present - and particularly if you aren't using the internal audio, but you get all your audio through your USB interface.

finally, #1 - My first thought is that it is directly related to #3. Again, what does Activity Monitor show when you load an existing project in Logic?
    About how long does it take the system to return to normal after that kind of pause (the spinning wheel :D )

Have you checked at any applicable user forums for Logic? You may be having issues that have more to do with Logic, and less with the computer itself.

11. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Haha, actually in some of them there's two problems in one point so it's 6 items :D

#4) That's what I was told already, by users on this forum too (that it is normal) and that's very much possible, but then again those grey stripes quickly appearing are definitely showing there's an issue with the card. And the other possibility is, that this Apple Hardware Test error has actually nothing to do with the card, and something else is broken/damaged instead :)

#3) There are no CPU leaps as far as I know (I think I checked this already) but I will check again when it happens again (it rarely happens since I use the RME Babyface, so apparently it has to do with the in built sound card). But even if something would show up in Activity monitor, what would you do anyway? The white noise is also not normal. It just came again. It lasts around 30 seconds, then it's gone.

#2) Well, maybe it's the metal casing of the Mac that makes these artifacts, and yes I do use the external audio interface, but it could hint something is wrong with the onboard card, maybe there's a problem related to point #3 and #1 as well :)

#1) Yes there are Logic forums but nobody knows sadly. Apparently it's something that has never happened to anyone else before. Activity Monitor doesn't show anything when this issue happens. Neither does the Console. That's what's weird also…
    When I quit Logic (without any project open, you must imagine, this is like any other app where you can have windows/projects open, or none open at all and just the App open - as if you had Safari open but without windows let's say), okay again, when I quit Logic, the spinning ball appears and it takes around 30 seconds to disappear. When I press CMD + Q to quit, the "Logic Pro" menu in the top left corner of the top menu bar would light up in dark blue (like with all apps) and it would stay like this for 30 seconds. The beach ball would appear and after those 30 seconds it would finally quit. When I load a project it takes less time, but while loading the Logic plugins, the spinning beach ball appears again and it needs a lot of time to load that, which is not normal considering I have an SSD now. I had an HDD before and it was faster!

So you see, still stuck with it :D

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You have an SSD now.
    Are ALL your files on the SSD - or do you have libraries and files on a spinning hard drive, and the system + apps are on your SSD?

13. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

14. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I think I just solved this problem!

I'll describe the situation quickly.

Three different possible outputs:
    1) In-built Mac Pro speakers (yup they have some)
    2) LED Cinema Display
    3) RME Babyface

If the sound output is set to the Mac Pro or the RME Babyface, the volume control doesn't lag – the problem is solved basically. It only happens when the Cinema Display is selected. So I don't know what's inside that display, some kind of audio card too or something, but it worked on the Babyface and it worked on the Mac Pro speakers too so that's the proof it isn't the Mac's card I guess. :) The question is just, what could it be in the Display… but maybe that's for another thread…

15. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Update: I installed some update for the Cinema Display and then it stopped lagging. We will see if it comes back. Maybe it solves this issues, but I would think that the latest Mavericks version (which I have installed) would already include all that stuff.

The white noise problem is solved too, apparently it's normal and everyone has it, even on the Thunderbolt display. I googled this so often but apparently I searched for the wrong stuff (there's so many different issues with the display(s) when you search on Google), but now I had finally found a thread that described my problem.

So I guess the only problems that are left are:

#1) My problem with Logic Pro, which is the biggest of all for me personally.
    #4) The Apple Hardware Test error / graphic card error, but I'll hopefully be replacing it soon.

16. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Sorry for the quadruple post :D

I installed Yosemite but nothing changed,

I also now am making a fresh install of Yosemite (the other one was an update). What's weird is that the same thing happened as in my first post: It looks as if it installed itself twice, so that's my question now, my original question :D That should get me further.

17. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your OS X install is quite normal.
    Run the install, and the installer files are copied to the hard drive. There's more than 5 GB data copied, so it takes several minutes.
    Your Mac reboots, and the files are then installed.
    So, you get a progress bar for the file copy, then a restart, then another progress bar for the actual install.

18. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hmm that would make a lot of sense :D That would also explain why I never got this before when I chose Internet installation.

I am reinstalling now, we'll see tomorrow if it changes something, but I don't think it will. Maybe I should get a new mac haha, this case is hopeless I believe :confused: