Installation help urgent.......

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dave21, Nov 9, 2007.

1. dave21 macrumors newbie

I erased the data on my hard drive through disk utility, started to zero it out but didnt let it finish.......Now I'm trying to reinstall the operating software and when I get to 'select a destination', my hard drive is not in the box...........I still see it under disk utility but I dont know what to do from here, at this point all I care about is reinstalling the operating software............any help would be most appreciated, right now time is of the essence..................thanks.......

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Do a reformat without zeroing it. Just a normal format. I stopped a multi-pass zeroing before and had the same issue. A normal reformat fixed it.

3. dave21 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks silent panda............could you possibly walk me through a reformat.......im looking in disk utility right now and dont know where to go.....im a little green in disk utility...thanks again!

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm not at a Mac at present but in theory you go into Disk Utility, click on the disk, and click on the "Erase" tab. You should be able to reformat it somewhere there. Just don't zero it out.

5. admiraldennis macrumors regular

You can't expect to find usable volumes after botching a procedure like that.

What exactly can't you figure out? Do it exactly the same as before but don't 'zero out all data' unless you want it to take forever again.

Select the disk in the list on the left, go to the erase tab. Under 'Security Options...', select the first option. Hit erase.

6. dave21 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok good news the disc now appears in the box when I try to install..............the bad news is there's a red exclamation point and it say you cannot install mac osx on this volume...............you cannot start up your computer using this volume......

7. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Select the disc on the left in Disk Utility. Go to the Partition tab and partition it with however many you want (I recommend one for now). Set it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and install the OS 9 drivers (it can't hurt unless you are going to run Leopard in which case don't bother). Now hit the Partition button. After it is done, quit Disk Utility and reboot with your OS X install DVD holding down C as you reboot. Then try to install to the newly reformatted hard drive.