Installation Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aliascognito, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aliascognito macrumors member

Hi, i've been trying to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard recently from a flash drive into my mac (Currently running leopard).
    I have all the necessary specs to install, yet when i try to install the installer opens and closes quickly...

I have tried to run it manually through terminal to no avail. Yet when I opened the package contents and clicked "Install OS X" terminal opens, and displays this code and closes again as usual.

Code:
    ~ WS9$ /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X ; exit;

Has anyone any idea on how to fix it?

(I've tried boot from the USB already and do not have any discs for burning onto)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why are you not using a (real, bought from Apple) DVD? Where did you get this copy of Snow Leopard from?

3. Aliascognito thread starter macrumors member

I bought it from a local trade in shop a while back and backed it onto my USB...
    Is there anyway around this? Or just bring the disc back?

EDIT: By a way around this.. i mean like something i can download to fix it or something?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why aren't you using the disc that you bought? What does the disk look like: some are locked to only work on a very specific type of Mac.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you can't boot from the flash drive, you did it wrong, or the disk was not valid. You cannot install Snow Leopard without booting from the install media. You'll have to use the DVD you got, assuming it's a valid, operational disk that will work on your machine.

jW

6. Aliascognito thread starter macrumors member

Its a normal disc with the big Mac "X" on it in black... and i cant use that because my optical drive doesn't work

----------

When i boot from the USB, i get an error saying:

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What, exact, Mac are you trying to install it on?

8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Retail Snow Leopard should look like this:

[​IMG]

If you have a Grey disc, then that will only work with the Mac it came with.

9. Aliascognito thread starter macrumors member

Early 2006 20" 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5GB RAM

----------

Looking at that picture, i realise it must have been a faulty disc -.-

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Or, perhaps, an illegally copied pirated disc?

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you mean that your disk doesn't look like that, that's not a sign of a faulty disk. It means you don't have the right kind (either it's for a specific Mac model, not yours, which the error you're getting would indicate) or it's a pirated copy. Best bet in either of those cases is to go buy a new disk from an Apple Store.

If it looks like that but still didn't work right, then you may have a faulty disk.

jW