Installation Instructions for Mac Pro RAID Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by theotherswan, Oct 6, 2007.

1. theotherswan macrumors newbie

Not sure what to do next, please help. I have recently bought a mac pro which did not come with a Mac Pro RAID card. I was able to obtain a RAID card from Apple but it did not come with install instructions.

I have spent hours with AppleCare support but none of them was able to help me because since the card is so new. I brought it to an Apple store and they told me that the card was missing some cables and they told me that there wasn't anything they could do for me.

This is the only RAID out there which can boot into the OS X which is why I went out of my way to get it from Apple. Apparently, the installation of this RAID card is more involved than just simply plugging it into one the available PCI slots. I am trying to take advantage of the hardware RAID speed (namely RAID 5) so I don't have to worry about backing up my data manually.

If anyone has any ideas or instructions on how to install this card I would be so grateful. Thank you so much in advance.

2. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

you will need an OS X install DVD that has the support for the card.
    The standard Mac Pro's DVD does not come with hardware RAID support.
    Leopard's installed has support for it.

as as far as I know, the RAID controller does not need any cables. It uses the motherboard's SATA connectors.

3. theotherswan thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed it in one of the available PCI slots but apparently on the MAC it is different than a PC because the speed on each of these PCI slots has different speed. I talked to one tech support from the Server team and he told me that there are a few required steps to installed the RAID card but he will not send me the instruction. He said it took him several hours to set it up that is why Apple normally will not sell the RAID card separately. He did send me the RAID utility software for the card. My concern is to get the card installed correctly. Thanks.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Take it in, you spent a lot of money on that Raid card (~$1000) and they don't provide instructions :confused:, and get them to sort it out for you.

5. theotherswan thread starter macrumors newbie

I did take it to one of the Apple stores but those guys at the genius bar were no help. They all suggested that I return the card and get my money back but I don't want to do that after all the effort of getting the card by itself. I don't want to spend extra money by going through one of the Authorized Service Providers because the service will not be covered under the AppleCare.

So how do I install this card properly. The tech support told me the instruction is in the Mac Pro service manually but this manual is kept confidentially by Apple. Thanks a lot.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have one of the older mac pro service manuals but it is before the RAID cards.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

But surely that is there job, they are much more likely to install it correctly than you are plus they can gain access to the manuals that apple don't seem to be letting you ahve. I'd phone up and speak to a manager to get this issue sorted out because the lower levels supports arent helping. This is silly they sold you the thing and expect you to install it with an instructions. Even on the iMac where there is only one screw to get to the RAM they provide instructions.

8. qpid macrumors regular

You guys are missing the point that the Raid card is not a customer installable part for the Mac Pro, so therefore apple doesn't have to provide instructions to install it. Also the only way the OP managed to get it was probably complaining a lot to applecare until they sent him a card to quiet him down, heck I doubt he even paid full price for the thing.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well first step I guess look at the card. Does it have any ports on it? Anything to connect SATA cables too? If so you will need apple to do this. Phone them up or go in person and ask for a manager.

10. corneng macrumors newbie

Here is a link I turned up....
    http://demo.advantagewebhosting.net/memory/MacproRaidManual.pdf

Apparently you need a proprietary (?) cable to connect it to your Mac Pro. I'm not sure where you can get this. The connector should be at the end of the card. Other than that you can administer the card with the Raid Utilitity found in Applications/Utilities (or on the CD apple gave you).

11. theotherswan thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. This is exactly what I need to install the card. Thanks so much. For some reason the instruction jumps from Step 3 to Step 6; not sure what involves in Steps 4-5 but I think this gives me a very very good start. The next task is to get the iPass cable.

Thank you very much for the info. so far.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Thats just the hardware. There is software involved as well. I would recommend trying to get apple to do this install....Or atleast give you the correct restore CDs/installs cds that have the drivers needed for the RAID.

13. theotherswan thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that Apple wants me to return the card instead of trying to help me install it but I am determined to make it work because this is the only RAID card out there that will boot into the OS X. Since the card is so new every place I have talked to did not know how to install it and naturally they would call into Apple tech support who recommends them to tell me to return the card.

I found this iPass cable

http://www.wiredzone.com/xq/asp/ic.10017608/qx/itemdesc.htm

and almost certain that it is the right cable but not sure where it should connect to the motherboard; it is obvious on card that the iPass cable connector is at the end.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Maybe what you should do is try talking apple into letting you return the whole system with the RAID card and in return they give you a system with it already installed identical specs no penalty to you.

And getting the software might be a problem.

15. theotherswan thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that I did not purchase the system from Apple. I bought it from somebody who bought it from Apple and added additional hardware to the system. I can't believe that it would be that difficult to install the card; I am I would have to take off a few parts but I don't think it is a big deal since I am pretty handy anyway and have put a few systems together from scratch.

16. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Okay well then. We need to find someone on the forums who owns a RAID card that works and have them look at the version number on the restore disks to see if its different. I am wondering if there is added drivers for the RAID support. We also need someone to look inside and see where that cable goes from the RAID controller.

17. Rick Here macrumors member

How to connect drives to RAID card

I pulled open my MAC Pro to check this out.
    If you read the install manual there is a clue there. Remove the heatsink shroud first and then fan assembly, the picture shows these removed. Trace the cable from the disk drives to the motherboard. Disconnect the iPass cable from the motherboard and connect it the iPass connector on the RAID card. This iPass connector is shown in the picture of the RAID card.
    My cable is connected directly to the RAID card. Then it should see the drives from the RAID card.

Cheers:)

18. qpid macrumors regular

Did you buy this from ebay?
    Just a word of warning if you break something by putting in the card you may void your warranty.

19. theotherswan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much everybody for all the tips. I appreciate "Rick Here" for opening up your machine to check it out for me. You all are great.

I did buy it from the Mac from eBay. I will find an Authorized Service Provider to put it in for me so the warranty won't be voided. Thanks so much everybody once again.

20. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Software may also be a problem but that will be fixed much easier. :)

21. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just for completions sake, the RAID utility you would have needed is now included in 10.5 so you should be set to go. :)

22. Rick Here macrumors member