installation of OS x

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jellezilla, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Jellezilla macrumors newbie

Hi there.

Sorry for the ambiguous title of this topic, but I am confused by this issue myself.

- I have a MBP mid2010, which is one of the fortunate generations of MBP where the DVD disc drive doesn't work.
    - I am using OS x 10.6.8.
    - I have recently upgraded it with new RAM and replacing the HDD with a new SSD. After a lot of issues installing an old OS x on a new HDD without any disc drive as well as lots of problems with the RAM, I finally got it working properly.

The last couple of days I've been using an unbelivably large amount of time trying to install XCode. No matter what installer I was using, it would either not read my installer file or give me an error halfway through installing it.
    When it wouldn't read the installer, rebooting helped but second time I rebooted I got the grey screen when booting and a progress bar followed by another progress bar came up and then it turned itself off. (I found that other people have had the same issue and a solution was to boot from install DVD and use disc utility. Here again a problem that my disc drive doesn't work.)
    I then plugged in my old HDD and booted from that, and tried to verify and repair my SSD using disk utility. Here another error occurs, saying:
    "Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

So I figured, in order to avoid any more headache, I would just buy the mountain lion upgrade from app store and install this. However, I'm in doubt, because it says that it is a requirement to have 10.6.8 or greater installed, but since my SSD is corrupt, I'm assuming that it won't work trying to upgrade it on an corrupt HDD. Wouldn't you guys agree?

So my plan would be to find a complete installer of mountain lion and install it (from a bootable USB ofc.) on my SSD with my fingers crossed that the SSD is still functional.

Do you guys have any advise that can ease my pain here?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am going to assume here you have backed up your data, so if we erase the drive you will not lose anything.

If you DL Mountain Lion from the App Store then make yourself a USB key installer (use this), you can option key boot to the USB key are erase the entire drive then install the OS fresh on your SSD. 10.6.8 does not need to be present to do that.

The 10.6.8 requirement mentioned is the minimum you need to run the App Store app to get the Mountain Lion installer. Once you get your hands on the installer, you are good to go.

All that said, it sounds to me like your SSD is ready to take a dirt nap and I don't think an OS install is going to fix it. :(

3. Jellezilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't really backed anything up, since I'm one of those idiots without time-masheen backup, but I don't think theres any way to backup anyway, since I can't even access the SSD drive right now.
    So yea, most of my data is probably lost, but I would rather have a working MBP than having some data stored on a corrupt drive in it.

I'm gonna proceed with an installation of mountain lion and see if that gets me anywhere.

Thanks again.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... gotcha. What you might try is once you get booted to the installer and after you do an erase of the drive have Disk Utility do a "verify disk" to see if the disk still has errors.