Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slobizman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I have an unbootable 2008 iMac I brought it in to the Genius Bar this morning. Long story short, he told me to bring the iMac back home and try reinstalling the OS. He thought it would fail, since I have a problem with the user record (or profile?), but said to try that anyway first. It did fail. The install ran extremely slowly during install (about 20 minutes for each "minute" on the progress bar). Eventually it told me it failed.

The next step was for me to then erase the drive (I have a backup on Time Capsule) when I see the option to run the File Utility from the install CD, then continue with the install. I choose to erase the disk, with the journaling option, and then let it go on its way installing. The problem is that it is now two "minutes" through the progress bar, but its taken almost an hour to get that far. I assume it will once again fail.

We had run the Repair Disk at Apple this morning and there were no errors. I ran it again before each install at home and no errors.

What could this be? What do I need to do to complete the install?

slobizman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Disk may be fine, but you've most probably got yet another hardware problem in the machine somewhere interfering with I/O.

Time to have all the other HW on the machine checked out.

Damn, so maybe I erased the disk for nothing? I have a backup, but what a pain.

slobizman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Interestingly, it's been about two hours now and it's still running. The progress bar shows about 2/3 of the way through with 22 minutes remaining (started at 30 minutes). So, I'm hopeful it will complete.

But is it odd that it could take this long to do "30 minutes?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.