Installation problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cap41, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I have a new to me Macbook. the white one. specs in my signature.

For some reason almost all software i try to install gets to the 99% range and than makes that "doo" noise mean it can't continue.

I have tried install crossover, firefox, etc. The items show up in the application folder. When i click on them they bounce in the dock, and then close. am I missing a setting?

thx

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried repairing permissions via Disk Utility yet?

Do you have enough free HDD space?

What Mac OS X version is on the MB and are the applications compatible with it?

Have you tried re-downloading those applications and tried it again?

Btw, Firefox does not have an installer, you just drag it to the Applications folder. Does that not work too?

3. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry, all the programs i am trying to install are the drag to application folder. The ones with an installer work fine i think.
    I have the latest OS, My HD is empty. Yes I have done the repair permissions.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So in other words, you are not able to drag the applications out of the downloaded and mounted disk image (DMG) into the Applications folder?

The copy process starts, but once it reaches 99% (or whatever %), the copy process stops without any message?

And the file in the Applications folder is different in size (down to the byte) from the one in the downloaded DMG? You can use Get Info for comparing those two.

Btw, if you have the latest OS X, you mean you have Mac OS X 10.6.3?

5. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I have the most current OS X. i figured there was a setting that didnt allow the drag and drop style that i was missing.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Any more information you can spare?

Like the "different" file sizes for example?

7. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

files are the same size.

But, when i see the program in finder/applications. when i click on it. it starts to open. But i also notice a black X where the cursor would be.