Installation problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by veritas89, Jan 26, 2012.

1. veritas89 macrumors newbie

I purchased OS X 10.7 from the App Store today and have been trying to install it and get it up and running all day long. After reading countless threads and blogs I needed to post my own. Sorry for this being my first post, at least now I can start contributing instead of just reading.

Anyway...downloaded lion from the app store and went through the regular installation steps that I was prompted with. Computer restarts and I'm presented with the screen to use time machine, disk utility, safari, etc. I have never gotten the big green check mark indicating that the os is installed. I dont' have my external HD on me at the moment so I can't do a backup and clean install. I have attempted to install the os multiple times to no avail. I have deleted the installer application and re-downloaded it from the App Store, to no avail.:confused: I am running 10.6.8 with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB RAM.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I making some stupid mistake? I have upgraded my os myself multiple times and have never had any problems. I'd like to get lion up and running. Thanks. :)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No need to bump. First of all, do the following:
    0 - have a USB HDD on hand and make a FRESH Time Machine backup of your machine before touching Lion. This is just a precaution but it makes it easier to do a "clean install" should you require one. Do not merely update a previous TM backup. It is important you have a clean fresh TM backup so you know it is free of corruption and can really be used for fresh install migrate purposes.
    1 - download the Lion app from the app store and STOP
    2 - open Install OS X Lion.app in Finder with "show package contents" and find a file called InstallESD.dmg.
    3 - Make a copy of that file! You might need it for restore later on.
    4 - Once you know you have safely copied InstallESD.dmg and put it on an 8 gig or larger USB drive (it won't fit on a 4 Gig), you can run the Lion installer. It will DELETE ITSELF after the install so don't skip steps 1-3!

5 - If the install goes well, you are good to go. If not, there are other things you can now try which amount to a "fresh install"...

1 - Use disk utility to make a bootable USB stick from the InstallESD.dmg you backed up earlier. You will need to partition an 8 GB or larger USB stick as GUID partition scheme HFS+, then you can use Disk Utility to "retore" from InstallESD.dmg to the stick you just formatted. Don't use a 1 TB HDD. Don't use a disk you need for anything else. Spend the time to pick up an empty 8 GB USB stick at Walmart and use it, not a drive containing files you need or care about!

2 - Hold option while booting and boot from the USB stick you made above.
    3 - Once you are booted up, launch Disk Utility from the USB stick and partition and format your Mac HDD as HFS+. YOU DID MAKE A FRESH TIME MACHINE BACKUP BEFORE GETTING THIS FAR RIGHT?!?
    4 - Exit Disk Utility and install OS X to Macintosh HD you created in step 3
    5 - When prompted, "migrate" from the fresh Time Machine backup you made earlier.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Good point! As a new Lion user, you get AppleCare. Give them a call and see what they have to say. Though I must admit they aren't going to be very helpful about how to create your own USB install stick...