installation problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rookiemac, Aug 8, 2007.

1. rookiemac macrumors newbie

hey guys i have a mac book pro, and i wanted to erase everything on the hardrive so i got the mac os x disc and formated to reboot everything but when i try to install, it says i cant install on this comp? its a core duo.
    Also my imac i have a disc in the drive adn it keeps telling me to restart my comp evertime i boot up what can i do? it is als a core duo.
    any advice?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sounds like you're using a retail Tiger disc on your MBP...they won't work, as they are for PPC machines only. You should be using the install disc that came with the MBP. If you don't have that, contact Apple about getting a replacement.

As for the iMac, what disc is in the drive...installation disc or something else? And if it's an installation disc, are you trying to boot from it? Try holding down your mouse button while starting up the computer...that should cause it to spit the disc out.

3. rookiemac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks yeah it spit the disc out... im trying to use the tiger to fix my porblem with the imac as well but the same message is appearing so im guessing i need a special disc? does apple normally gives these disc out or do they sell them?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Both of your machines require an Intel-compatible version of the Tiger disc, which you can not buy in stores. This is because every single Intel Mac ever sold came with restore discs with Tiger on them, so there's no need for a retail version of Tiger for Intel.

Apple can help people who have lost the original installation discs, however. You have to contact them directly, and they should be able to ship some to you for a nominal fee.

5. rookiemac thread starter macrumors newbie

6. rookiemac thread starter macrumors newbie

so, today my friend bought a mac book, and i borrowed his original discs that came with his mac book, and tried it with my MBP, and i still get the alert msg "this software cannot be installed on this computer" am i missing something else here? or is the grey mac osx install disc different from teh restore disc? and is there a way to recover the old tiger after i erased the hard drive? (biggestmistake ever lol)

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You need MBP discs, not MB discs. The restore disc (yes, the grey one) is model-specific. You need one for your MBP.

Contact Apple.

8. rookiemac thread starter macrumors newbie

would that mean i would need a specific one for my imac as well?

9. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Dude, what are you doing? With all due respect, you need to stop. You have two brand new machines. They each came with the appropriate system installation disks. Where are the disks? Why are you borrowing your friend's disks? Why are you reinstalling anything? What is the matter with your Macs?

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, you need separate restore discs for your two machines if you no longer have the ones that came with the machines.

11. rookiemac thread starter macrumors newbie

their not that new, and i got them off craigslist. The imac is my brothers and the mbp is mine.. Im new to the mac world so all the software stuff im not familiar with. unfortunately when i got the macs they didnt come with any of that. I didnt know it would be so complicated... But i think i got this figured out.. has somethign to do with build numbers for the os x version.. Thanks for the help.

12. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I wish you the best of luck with this, you need to get back to the craigslist sellers. The System disks are essential to the sale. There are no retail System install disks for the Intel chipped Macs. You are right, the "build numbers" are specific to each model. In theory, you could find someone with the same model and use their disk. Or go to Apple and explain the situation, see if they will send you replacement disks.