Installation process - how to -

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yakuza, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Hey guys

So here's the thing. I have an iMac i5, and there was this Apple program for replacing faulty (or possible faulty) HDD.

I went to a official representative and they have replaced it. They installed Lion with one of their copies and with the installations steps they had to define a name and password for. When they gave me they said if the computer asked for some sort of password, and they gave me the password, and they told me if i wanted to change the name, and i did.

But the there are certain programs/parts that appear the name that they gave.

The thing is i want to make a clean install and install my copy, i have SL cd but every time i reboot and press c, nothing happens. When i reboot and press ALT i choose the cd and the iMac just freezes. With the os x running if i click (with cd on it) the "Install Mac OS X" it appears the message

"You can't use this version of the application Instal Mac OS X with this version of Mac OS X. - you have install mac os x 23.1."

I am now downloading Lion from my app store, to try a clean install.

Anyway, does anyone knows what that message means? i have done it in the passed and now i can't.

Take you in advanced

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What model iMac do you have, without it we can just guess.

If it is a newer one you probably can't install Snow Leopard, maybe you can but needs a minimum SL version, so tell us the iMacs model number, serial is also sufficient.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're trying to install Snow Leopard on the Mac that is in your signature you'll not be able too.

The mac in your sig is too new for Snow Leopard, that version of OSX does not have the device drivers required for the newer machines.

If you want to reinstall OSX on a newer mac reboot the machine and hold the cmd-r key to get into the recovery partition. From there you can erase the drive from Disk Utility and then reinstall the OS.

4. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

how can that be if i had SL installed in this iMac, it's from early/mid 2010.

I had SL and upgraded to Lion.

Is it because in this HDD the only OS installed was Lion?

5. simsaladimbamba

There is only a hint of an i5 iMac, they came out in 2009 and 2010 and 2011, all capable of running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The 2012 iMacs are the first not able to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
    I guess you use the grey Restore DVDs that came with your iMac?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Both are minimum 10.6.3 so if you have a disk with 10.6.0-10.6.2 it won't work, see screenshot

Attached Files:

7. simsaladimbamba

Since it is a special built of 10.6.3, no Upgrade DVD will work, as they all came with 10.6.3 only. An Upgrade DVD with 10.6.4 should work, but I haven't come around one yet.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just wanted to point out he can't just install 10.6.0-10.6.2 on it, does not work, his best option is indeed the original disks.

9. simsaladimbamba

And we never found out anyway. Drive by wonders.

10. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

hi all,

i've been busy, and haven't received the notifications.

I found out why i was getting that message, the disks i was using weren't the original disks lolol

I found the original disks, but haven't installed it yet

Thanks