Installation Woes, 4 days and counting. Seeking ANY input, please...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iTim314, Mar 1, 2011.

1. iTim314 macrumors 6502

For the record...

... Whereas I have successfully run Windows 7 Professional on my mid-2007 MacBook Pro (2.2ghtz) previously, and

... Whereas I have searched the internet (and these forums) up, down, left, right for solutions, to no avail, and

... Whereas I now feel I have exhausted all resources after 4 days,

I come to you, MacRumors Forums, for support.

Since I was running low on space on my Snow Leopard partition, and had ample on my Windows partition (and Winclone was not operating properly) I erased, resized, and attempted to reinstall.

First Attempt

I did the typical Boot Camp Assistant method; single partition => dual partition => install. The computer booted to the CD, failed at 0% file expansion, citing missing installation files. I exchanged the disc.

Second Attempt

I booted by holding 'c', which resulted in a grey-screen for about 5 minutes before my MBP spat out the disc and defaulted to booting to Snow Leopard.

Third Attempt

I booted again by holding 'c', and while it finally chose to boot from the disc, it returned an error saying 'No bootable device.' At this point, I'm questioning the reliability of my disc drive.

Fourth Attempt

So, I attempt to create a dummy partition to boot from (MS FAT-32 format), and copy the contents of the disc to the partition. Finder couldn't copy the files due to a read error; by this time, I'm convinced my superdrive has bit the dust. I found a newer Mac, and loaded the contents from it's drive onto my partition.

I booted from the dummy partition, only to get a "No bootable device" error again.

Fifth Attempt

Same process as the 4th attempt, except that I used 3G NTFS to format the dummy drive to NTFS and copy the installation files there. Again, No bootable device.

Sixth Attempt

I decide to download rEFit and boot from a USB drive. After confirming rEFit was properly installed, I found a Windows PC, restored the installation disc to a USB thumb drive with an NTFS format. I boot into rEFit, select my thumb drive, and receive a "Firmware refused to boot from this drive" error.

Seventh Attempt

By this time I'm getting a little frustrated. I revert back to my superdrive after resetting both my PRAM and PMU, which resulted in a successful boot into the Windows 7 installer. However, after 15% into 'Expanding Files' the drive spins down and the installation simply stops with no notice or BSOD. I read up on the issue, noticing that most of the problems were due to unnecessary hardware... well, there is no other hardware. Just my power cord.

Eighth Attempt

So I try again. Boot from disc => install => disc spins down at 36% this time. I leave it overnight thinking it must just be slow, but after a 8-hour rest, it's still at 36% (the installer is *not* frozen; the three dots are still cycling and the mouse is responsive.)

So I'm at a loss at what my options are at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions? The data that was on the drive was all replaceable, but I need Windows unfortunately. This has all been a huge headache.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1013044

There are two ways that generally work to install Windows on a Mac without using the internal SuperDrive.

Use Parallels/VMWare to Perform the install up to the first reboot.

Create an internal throwaway partition to install from.

B

3. iTim314 thread starter macrumors 6502

The instructions he gave didn't work; I hit a wall when VMware wouldn't let me select the .vmdk file (grayed out).

I ran the installer in Parallels, but I could not select my Boot camp partition as a destination drive.

That's how I installed Snow Leopard, and was actually what I tried in my fifth attempt listed above. I get an error saying:

Code:
    Non-system disk. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot. _

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

windows requires more to make it bootable than just copying the files.

e.g. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6989697&postcount=27

B

5. iTim314 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aware of that now. =\ I tried restoring from the disk image I created, but any image I make from the CD (via External drive) will not pass a restore scan. I've looked up causes/solutions to this to no avail.

6. brandone macrumors member

I think your first intuition is correct. I would agree that there is potentially something wrong with the superdrive. Have you tried installing from and external dvd drive?

7. iTim314 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have. "Non-system disk. Press any key to reboot. _"

Since last night, I've come to some realizations. The superdrive isn't totally useless; I am able to boot to the Windows DVD, but it only makes it part way through the installation before my drive starts "grinding". The disk I have was checked out to me by my University; it has a custom-printed label that's stuck on, and since my attempts, appears to be wearing away. I think it's simply too thick for my aging drive.

I know for a fact my drive can't burn anymore; so I'm using a new iMac that belongs to a friend to copy the disk and install from a new DVD. I should be able to make it all the way through. If not, I'm going to retry the Parallels method.