Installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rajeshs, Aug 4, 2016.

1. rajeshs macrumors newbie

Hi i am new to mac as i have just bought a macbook. I was always on windows and now want to change. I am setting my newly mac and wanted to have another email app instead of the apple mail. I have downloaded polymail zip file, unzip it but have found polymail.app and macosx folder. I know only to install .dmg file but this one can't figured it out. Can anyone pls tell me how to install this one as i have told i am new to mac. Thanks for your support.

2. rajeshs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thks a lot. But one more question. How to access the mail. Because inside the polymail.app there is another folder(Content) under which there are some more folders e.g frameworks ,resources ,mac os etc. Like in dmg file when you drag it to the application folder it give you an icon but how for this one.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You've done something wrong, you shouldn't be seeing those files.
    Drag Polymail into Applications and double click it. What happens?

4. rajeshs thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't see the the polymail icon. When i downloaded the mail app from their site it was a zip file. Unzip it i got these 2 files. See screenshot. So i should drag this polymail.app folder into application folder or what? polymail.jpg

5. chscag macrumors 68000

As you were told in the other forum you posted in, your screen shot is of Windows not OS X! :eek:

6. rajeshs thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i have taken the screenshot from a windows laptop. Attach is the one taken from my mac.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 17.20.39.png

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

What weird app is that? What is in the Polymail folder?

8. ApfelKuchen, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

I just downloaded Polymail 1.03 from their web site. It is not distributed as a Zip. It is not distributed as a DMG. It downloads directly as an App, with no need to do anything but move the package from the Downloads folder to the Applications folder.

You originally said you downloaded "Polymail.app" - which is the same result I had. How/when did it change to "Polymail-v103.zip?"

Also, just so you understand a bit more about the world of Mac... A .app is what's called a Package, a bundle of files and folders that is made to appear as a single item in Finder. If you right-click/control-click on a Package, you'll have the option to Show Package Contents. Otherwise, you should never see folders or files. It's Apple's way of preventing average users from accidentally breaking file/folder structures that shouldn't be messed with by average users.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not quite sure how you got so sideways... but let's just start over. Boot into OS X and delete the zip file and all those other Polymail files you have.

https://polymail.io

Then go here and download the app again. That should put the file Polymail-v103.zip in your Downloads folder. Double click that file to unzip it. That should leave you with this when you open the Downloads folder.

Now with your cursor, grab the file Polymail (in blue in my shot) and drag it over to Applications in the sidebar like in my shot. Then go to the Applications folder and double click Polymail to launch it.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-05_at_9_52_16_AM.png