Installed 10.5.1 and fans blitz with kernel panic

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jevoe, Nov 19, 2007.

1. jevoe macrumors newbie

It worked fine for a week, after installing the first update to 10.5.1 I had it on as usual yesterday, left for the store. When I came back my screen was blank, the fans on my tower were all running full blast sounding like a turboprop, and now the tower won't boot from a CD/DVD/HDD/Single user mode, etc.

Everytime I just get the kernel panic error at boot and the 'Hold down the power button to shut down your computer.

Has anyone else experienced this with Leopard? Any advice on a solution aside from Leopard? Is there any way I can at least backup the hard drive to save my important data outside of physically pulling it and putting it as a slave in another PC/Mac?

I'll start troubleshooting hardware starting with RAM tonight, but was hoping to get some feedback from usergroups to send me in the right direction.

2. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I have the fan issue during sleep since installing 10.5.1, but after holding the down the power button and shutting it down, everything still works fine... No idea yet, i'm sure some smart people will let us know. This did not happen in 10.5.0 and nothing has changed in my system since....

3. thxdave macrumors member

Same thing happened after the .1 update on my MBP C2D.....weird.

4. Hieiwing macrumors newbie

I experienced this issue as well. It became normal, when i unplug the external harddisk which was using for time machine.

5. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I have also had this happen not once but TWICE on my July 07 2.2GHz MBP!
    First time gave me grave concern... looked at RAM, looked at permissions, verified disk... all were fine.