Installed 10.5.2: BSOD (Black Screen Of Death)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Feb 11, 2008.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

i installed 10.5.2, watched the installer finish, but now i just have a black screen. the light on the bottom of my mbp is on. i'm scared to hold down the power button, because it might screw something up. it's been like this for 45 minutes so far.

?//

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Did it go to a blank screen before or after the required restart?

3. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

here's what happened:

software update comes up saying 10.5.2 is available. i press install

the computer restarts, with a blue screen coming up and an installer window with a progress bar comes up. it progresses up to about 90%, i look away for a couple seconds, and when i look back, it's a black screen.

still black...

4. kps macrumors regular

I don't know whether the problem I had was related, but I walked away from the install on my Early 2008 Mac Pro, and when I came back, the screen was black. I ssh'd in from another machine to reboot it, and watched as it started booting, and then, at the moment when it normally changes screen the resolution, the screen went black again. Somehow, the update left my display settings in some mode my monitor couldn't handle.

I rebooted again, in safe mode (hold shift on startup); it booted fine (at 800x600), and I logged in to set my display resolution back to normal, and rebooted again; it's been fine since.

If you have another machine and ssh enabled, log in that way to shut it down. Or, if you have auto-login enabled (or can log in blindly), press Command-Space to bring up Spotlight, type Terminal, and press return. Then type sudo shutdown -r now and press return, then type your password and press return. Hold shift while it reboots in safe mode.

5. charlieMonroe macrumors newbie

I wouldn't be afraid to press the power button as it's obviously not doing anything...

6. ChrisHeric macrumors newbie

I had had identical issues..

I got notification of the update... (MacPro 1st. gen Quad)
    I installed it, and it wanted to reboot obviously...
    Upon reboot.. the DVD ROM drive made a periodic clicking sound, and would not boot... so I held the power button in, and it shut down...

Now, upon boot, it will not even make the chime, and I only see black screen.

All from a Software update?

Now it appears my MacPro is bricked.. it will not boot at all.
    Chris