Installed 10.5.6 now I can't restart

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macenvy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. macenvy macrumors newbie

I'm stuck! This afternoon I installed the 10.5.6 update (after running disc utility with no red errors). After the update installed the computer restarted. However, it hasn't gotten past the apple page that you see before the blue screen.

Any advice?? My next step is to DVD hold C, restart (if that works) archive and install. Please help, as I don't want to have to do that if I don't need to.

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Can you boot of your disk and run diskutility there? can you boot the mac into safe mode and see if it works?

If for what ever reason the update failed You can re run it in safe mode.

3. macenvy thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to boot from disc and run Utilities again, it found no problems.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

5. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Did you wait long enough. When I did the update it took my computer a good five to ten minutes to restart. That was a pretty big update if I recall.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yeah it was a big update, it killed one of the imacs a colleague installed it on.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This problem has cropped up several times before on this board. The 10.5.6 update seems to have caused some problems. If you can't solve the problem with the diagnoses above, you can do a full system restore without losing any data or settings. It'll just take a lot longer, so faster is better.

I'll walk you through the process if that's what it comes to.

8. macenvy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure I had waited long enough, say 2 hours?? I finally rebooted from disc holding C, ran disc utilities again for safety, and then archived and reinstalled. After 45 minutes of installing the install got hung up with 30 minutes remaining. I watched an entire hockey game while I waited. Frozen during install. Any advice now would be great, as I am treading in new territory now.

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

When you ran disk utility did u verify the disk permissions as well as verifying the disk?

10. macenvy thread starter macrumors newbie

No. As per the advice I got from Applecare today I ran repair disc twice to check the disc.

11. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

So you've done the archive / install, is all the data backed up on the unit? Can you test the RAM in the system? I have had bad ram cause problems like this in the past.

12. macenvy thread starter macrumors newbie

I archived and the install started but froze half way through. So now its hung and unresponsive. I'm afraid to do anything now.

I ran TechTool yesterday and it found no problems with the Ram.

13. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Did you test each stick individually? If you just run tech tool with both sticks in there it can't differentiate which one is defective. You get a more accurate result testing one stick at a time.

14. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Same here...I nearly panicked somewhat..but got it over now :)

15. macenvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

It isn't sounding good.

I had another long chat with an AppleCare expert. In fact when the first agent reviewed my open case they put me right through to a 'product expert'.

She had me put in the first install disc and run a hardware check, which turned up nothing wrong. So, she has recommended me to mail my computer into Apple or take it to a certified Apple Care to run further, more detailed checks of all the software, hardware etc.

I hope they sort it out without having to do a fresh install. I was waiting for Santa to bring me a Time Capsule so I haven't backed-up.:(

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What Mac do you have? If it's one of the ones that's easy to remove the disk from, you could remove it, connect to another Mac, and back it up that way.

If you leave it with Apple for repairs, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a clean install back.

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You don't need to physically remove the hard drive. Starting your Mac in target disk mode connected to another Mac should be all you need.