Installed 10.5 - Several problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mactastic, Feb 21, 2009.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So I recently upgraded my PBG4 1Ghz TiBook from 10.3 to 10.5, and I've had a bunch of problems crop up.

1. Network issues. As part of the upgrade, my Airport Extreme and Airport Express were updated too. Now Airport Utility doesn't see my AEBS or my AEX half the time (or will see one but not the other) unless I plug in using the ethernet port. Also, signal strength seems to have degraded considerably. I'm typing this with about 6 feet between my computer and my base station, and I only have three of four bars. At my couch, I used to receive four bars, but now only two. Previously, I was able to roam my house without dropping below the full four in any location.

2. Embedded videos. Gone. Can no longer see video streams on news sites, youtube videos embedded in web pages, and the like.

3. iPhoto. Dead. Do I need to purchase iLife separately? I thought this was included with previous versions of OS X?

4. Laptop speakers. Dead. iTunes plays music, but only the occasional crackle emerges from the speakers.

5. Time Machine. Doesn't work with my external HD.

Other than that, I like 10.5 so far. But unless I can solve at least the first four problems, I'm going to have to uninstall it pretty soon. Thus, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1. Can't be much help here, maybe someone else has some insight ...

2. Did you install Flash from Adobe.com?

3. iLife is not included with the OS, install it from the restore discs.

4. No idea.

5. Is the drive formatted HFS+?

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Flash was previously installed. Do I need to re-install it, or it there a new version I need with 10.5?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How did you install? Upgrade? Archive and Install? Erase and Install?

Try reinstalling Flash, it sounds like it isn't working at all.

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I did an upgrade. I was hoping to avoid a complete erase and install.

I think I've got the network stuff figured out, although the drop in reception is still going on, at least I've got all the base stations talking to each other and to my computers.

I installed flash. That didn't help with the video thing. I still can't see embedded video.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think you might need a clean install to clean out all the corners.