Installed 10.5 twice, threw out private folder, no reboot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tightbunns, Dec 24, 2007.

1. tightbunns macrumors newbie

Ok an embarrassing set of circumstances and my 2.2 MBP, on launch, remains at the grey screen indefinitely.

Home with the parents for the holidays. Loaded 10.5 onto my MPB without the archive installation. My dad became very adamant that i install the archived version. Despite the fact that i am sure it is too late to retrieve the archived settings from 10.4.11 now that 10.5 is installed, i install again using the archive option to appease the old man. The installation takes up an additional 11 or so gigs and i am down to like 2 gigs (i have a 32 gig windows partitioned on bootcamp, hence the lack of space). Anyway, i use "whatsize" to clear some files and i throw out garageband and a folder called private (which maybe should have tipped me off not to delete it). I assumed it was from the previous install of 10.5 because i didn't think i freed up the space from the original install. Anyway, i go to restart the computer, and it remains at the grey boot up screen for hours. Repaired the disk using the leopard install disk and no change.

I don't mind doing a clean wipe and install, but i'd like to somehow retrieve some files from the hard drive first, so if anyone has any ideas how to solve this problem, or grab a few files before a clean install, help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Do you have another Mac you can use to help gain the information?

3. tightbunns thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, i have a plethora of macs! Another MBP 2.2, Macbook 2.0, G5, etc.

4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

sweet. Boot the Mac which you want to get the information off of, by pressing the power button and holding down T. Hold down T until you see the fire wire symbol display on the screen. Your fans may Rev up a little, according to Apple this is normal.

What we have done so far is turn your mac into a very expensive external firewire drive. Now connect this drive to another Mac and you will be able to browse what is on it and find your data.

Good luck. Any questions let me know, and let me know how you make out.

5. tightbunns thread starter macrumors newbie

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And, as you surmised, throwing away /private was the root of your problems.
    You were also correct that doing an A&I over an already upgraded 10.5 install was pointless.

For future reference (and readers):

When one does an archive & install, the previous OS installation is moved to /Previous Systems.

7. tightbunns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fantastic help guys, it is greatly appreciated!

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I am glad you were able to recover your data.

9. hillxy macrumors newbie

"Now connect this drive to another Mac and you will be able to browse what is on it and find your data." how to do the connect? usb?

10. hillxy macrumors newbie

Is it possible to get the "private folder" back from trash can use this method? and make the MAC run as before?

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Only FireWire will work (either 400 or 800).

12. hillxy macrumors newbie

Thanks.