Installed 2gb RAM into Macbook....now worried

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scottasu, Nov 15, 2007.

1. scottasu macrumors newbie

Hello everybody. I finally made the big switch over to OS X and to do so I purchased a new 2.2ghz Macbook with 1gb of ram. Well like any good tinkier I got the urge to upgrade to 2gb of ram. To do so, I read alot of posts and watch some youtube videos to learn how and during which I learned about the large amount of force it takes to put these ram sticks in. So thats what I did. I attempted to push on these things for about 10 to 15 minutes to ensure I heard a click. I never heard a click and have since learned you will not. When I finally figured they would go no further, I put the bracket back on, put the battery back in, and booted up and it seems fine. The mac says it has 2gbs of ram installed and the status is ok.

However I am now freaking out that I might have damaged something that will not show up until later with all my forceful pushing. I was really trying force the ram sticks into the slots, so hard in fact my finger tips are still a little raw 24 hours later. I noticed my boot time is not as fast as some people are claiming and I guess that is a part of my worrying. I have leopard of course but my boot time is like 37 to 40 seconds, but when I look on youtube I see people booting up in like 20-25. It takes itunes like 5 seconds to open once i boot up.

Am I being totally stupid or do I need to be worried I screwed the pooch? Thanks for any response you might give.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

RAM does not affect boot speed or initial app opening times. Extra RAM will merely give you more space for your Mac to put regularly accessed data so as to avoid having to constantly access the much slower hard drive. If it is recognised then there's a pretty good chance it's all fine. :)

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

If the machine recognizes the RAM you should be completely fine. I agree with MadJew. Your boot times may vary for a variety of reasons which may include login items that you have specified. You and your pooch are fine.

4. scottasu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. So no real chance of somehow cracking the motherboard or something like that?

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. Even if there was a crack or something like that, it would definitely cause bigger, more obvious problems (computer crashing/not working) and not just a reduced boot time :D.

6. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

just over thinking it, does for instance the computer seem faster when you have 7 apps open.