Installed 2nd hard drive, grey screen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jdoe83fr, Apr 7, 2014.

1. jdoe83fr macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an early mac pro 2008, 2x2.8 Ghz Quad_core Intel Xeon, and I have installed a 2nd hard drive, the Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 600 64MB.

Everything went fine and I was able to use that new hard drive but when I tried to turn on the computer the next day, the screen stayed grey, without the apple logo or anything, just grey. So first, I took out the new hard drive out and it worked fine without it.
    Then I've decided to re-install the hard drive again and it was working fine.
    Which was great!

But it happened again the next day

The hard drive is mounted and I can see it, I was able to back up my files on it and use them.

Could it be that this particular hard drive don't work great with mac pro? I did check if it was compatible before buying it.

Thanks

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

In case you haven't sorted out the problem yet:

Try holding down the alt/option key on your keyboard right after turning on your Mac Pro. This should bring up the boot menu, in which you can select your (old) boot drive.

If it starts up fine this way, go to System Preferences->Startup Disk and make sure your original boot drive is selected there.
    That should sort things out.