Installed 3.0 Beta 3 and now I can't recover my old data! Help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ugaosu, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ugaosu macrumors newbie

I activated my UDID via a developer and installed the 3rd 3.0 beta on my phone. When it finished, it told me that I needed to upgrade to the newest version of iTunes in order for the iPhone to be compatible. I upgraded and when I opened iTunes back up, all that is listed under my devices is an iPhone called "iPhone". Nothing happens when I click on the tab and if I right click it, my only option is to eject it. I can use the phone perfectly, but I want to load my old apps, contacts, and other information. I have tried downgrading and re-installing to no avail. Please help!

2. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I hope you have even backed up on 2.2.1 before you upgraded, on the first place. If you did there is always a chance that you can restore back.

3. ugaosu thread starter macrumors newbie

I backed it up. When I go to devices from the preferences tab in iTunes there are 2 different backups listed which are both from before I upgraded. Nothing happens when I click on them though. I love 3.0 and would like to keep it if at all possible, but my computer basically won't sync with my iPhone.

4. ugaosu thread starter macrumors newbie

5. yalag macrumors 65816

that's what you get for using beta, you deserve it

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What?? He did nothing to "deserve" this, although it is a risk he took. Something constructive might be a better addition to this thread, such as:

Placing the phone in DFU mode and trying to restore it from one of the previous backups?

Or look at the threads for people with the Beta 1 or Beta 2 and see how they reverted to pervious versions.

7. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

Dick.

This has happened to me several times with 2.0 (and subsequent OS updates). I've learned to back everything up on the iPhone once a day. Put it in DFU and try to restore from one of the backups.

8. ugaosu thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried putting the phone in DFU, but when I restore in order to recover my backup I get an error. This article at gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5184313/the-iphone-30-os-is-not-ready-for-everyday-use-heres-how-to-downgrade) describes how to downgrade, but I can only get to step 3 before I get lost. Basically, when I put it in DFU and try to load the normal firmware, I get stuck in recovery mode. I can reload the new beta, but it doesn't do anything for me and my phone still just says "iPhone" under devices (not the name of my phone) with no other options. Again, my phone is fully functional (I'm posting on it right now), but I have lost all of my data and I cannot sync.

9. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Eek, that sucks... I'm afraid I don't know what to do in that situation... Sorry :( Good luck to you though, hope you figure it out....

Maybe if you use Time Machine? If you have it setup...

10. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

Did you try doing this with a USB HUB maybe it will work then?

11. muskratboy macrumors 6502

when you plug the phone into itunes, it doesn't ask you to back it up / sync / restore it? it just sits there?

just for comparison, i immediately get "it looks like a phone is already set up here... do you want to restore to that one, or set up a new one?"

if it's skipping that step, it obviously can't find the backups. have you checked to make sure the backups are in the right place re. itunes?

12. ugaosu thread starter macrumors newbie

They are listed in the devices section of my preferences. How do I check to see if they are in the right place.

13. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

OP, initially, did you upgrade or did a clean restore?

I suggest you attempt a clean restore. Then see if your earlier back ups appear in the drop down list.

From what I came across, upgrades tend to yield small bugs. Clean restores seem more stable.