Installed 320gb drive in my macbook pro.. Issues!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevey500, Jul 23, 2008.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

This is what I did...

I took out my 120gb drive with leopard installed. Everything was perfect. I took out that original 120gb drive and put it in an external USB enclosure. I installed the new 320GB western digital drive as soon as the UPS man stopped by.

I booted up the machine to my external drive (the 120gb drive i just took out of the machine), booted great! Just as if the drive was still installed internally. Everything works. I erased the internal drive in disk utility in Mac OS Extended (same as original).

I started up the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner... Chose the external as the original, chose the internal as the destination. Copied 95Gb of data successfully.

Restarted.

The system didn't want to boot to the internal drive that was just cloned to.

So I had to "bless" the internal hard drive. I followed some guides, i'm thinking I must have done it right as it DOES boot just fine now!

Everything is great, boots great to my new internal, everything is back to the way I was with the old drive, a perfect clone.. I'm back at my desktop, my settings, my everything of my account... other than a few ... odd issues.

ONLY IN MY ACCOUNT:

Preview will NOT open files. AT ALL.

Photoshop will NOT load "disk unavailable" error.

Software update will scan for software updates for about 1.5 min and then say "Your Computer is up to date,etc."

----

I created a temporary "test" account. Logged in, Preview works perfectly fine, Photoshop launches without errors, and software update detects what software needs updates all by it self.

Something on my "steve" user account is messed up, permissions? Where?

how?

Anyone had experience with this?

I don't want to have to do an archive install, can I just FIX my account somehow because everything is perfect in the root and the account I just made... I don't want to loose any preferences and software libraries along with everything else all my applications rely on in my "steve" user file.

thanks.

-steve!

2. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

I read in some places that maybe a temp file has incorrect permissions? But it didnt make much sense to me.

Guh, I hope I can get it working.

I just updated from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4.. still same problems in my "steve" account.

3. ventro macrumors 6502a

Format the drive, reinstall OSX from scratch, and transfer only the files you need from the external?

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I would say re-format the internal drive, reinstall OS X, and use the setup migration assistant to transfer everything from the now external drive.

If the migration assistant misses any apps/music/etc. you can manually move those later. But at least the users and settings will transfer properly.

5. jcbauerca macrumors member

jcbauerca

I did the same thing but used time machine to restore everything to the new hard drive and it worked fine.

6. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, i THINK thats pretty much going to be my last attempt at fixing this problem... I'll wait till the end of the day to see if someone comes up with something else.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Have you repaired permissions on your old drive or new drive?

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Sounds to me like obviously something didn't get copied correctly. Were you running any applications on your machine WHILE the copy was running to the new disk?

I have run into a few other similar "quirks" CCC to copy disks, but other times it has worked flawlessly. The issues always seem to be in the library of the user who is logged in and running the copy, so I have to assume this is due to some background process updating files, etc.

Making a copy of your boot drive is always going to have this issue. The real question is how do you go about resolving these things.

What about just migrating over to a new user? You said things worked OK from a new user, so why not move your files over to that user, and work from there? Not an ideal solution, and you will lose your preferences as you have said, but it might be easier than reinstalling OS X, etc.

9. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have repaired permissions over and over..

Yeah, something might not have copied right.

What I want to do is boot to my install disk and launch Carbon Copy cloner from the terminal off of my thumbdrive but the "open" command isn't in the boot disk's Terminal.

I figured, this would probably be the best way to get it to work, right? Or could I just boot up to OS/x from my external(original) and log into a temporary account and THEN copy the hard drive?

What do I do?

10. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

SOLVED

Unplugged the External (original) drive.

Booted up the machine.

Enabled the Root Account.

Logged out of my "steve" account

Logged into Root.

Deleted my User account (but kept the user folder there in /Users as "steve")

Made a new account with the exact same password, name and Short name as "steve"

Os/x said there was already an existing "steve" folder and if i wanted to use it, I said yes.

Os/x took a minute to set permissions and paths....

Account made.

Logged back into my Steve account and everything works grand.

Only one thing remains though, when tempting to tweak in my Library folder (accidently tweaked my ORIGINAL Library folder) in the Adobe stuff somewhere I must have done something stupid. Photoshop launches without any issues now, works perfect until I want to close it.

When I close photoshop (command Q or Photoshop > quit) it quits but then crashes and wants to throw an error report.

Process: Adobe Photoshop CS3 [438]
    Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Identifier: com.adobe.Photoshop
    Version: 10.0 (10.0x20070321 [20070321.m.1480 2007/03/21:16:39:00 cutoff; m branch]) (10.0)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [120]

Date/Time: 2008-07-23 18:49:38.192 -0600
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
    Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000010b
    Crashed Thread: 0

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Can you just reinstall Photoshop CS3? That might be the easiest way to go at this point.

12. billmister macrumors 6502

untill you find something else wrong when running other apps..

To tell you the truth the way I would handle this situation is:

Insert Os Disk in and shut down computer.... Turn on computer holding "c" and then let it boot to the disk.. Once the main screen appears let go of "c" and go to disk management on the top and erase your internal hard drive (your external HD does NOT need to be plugged in.

Then once erase exit that screen and proceede with installing as new install of the Os... Once that's done install all your apps, and bring all of your documents/pics/music, etc... from your external... If you have 90 gigs to import, hope you have firewire 800 and not doing it via wireless.

That is what I would do becuse i wouldn't like to be on my computer knowing there might be something that is not working correctly. Good luck

13. mgclayton macrumors member

I have moved my OS accounts about many, many times with no issue at all (from machine to new machine, onto externals, back onto upgraded internal drives, et cetera). In fact I always keep a small bootable partition on an external as a 'hot standby'. Who am I kidding? I keep several, one Tiger (for nostalgia's sake), and at least one Leopard.

Whilst I do have CCC, I don't really see any point in using anything other than Disk Utility. It is simple, does the job as quickly as possible, and has never failed for me. Also, it dismounts both drives and does a block by block copy. Far less chance of getting the issues you've had.
    If you don't have a 2nd bootable partition, just use the OS X disk and launch Disk Utility from there.

Important: When the copy is complete, check in Disk Utility that the new volume has 'owners enabled' set to yes. If not, you can do this from Terminal:

sudo vsdbutil -a /Volumes/NewBootDrive

(vsdbutil -c /Volumes/NewBootDrive will also check this, you get a 'No Entry Found...' message if 'owners enabled' isn't yes)

Now just go to System Preferences and select the startup disk you require.

14. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Working perfectly :) Just deleted my cs3 preferences folder, relaunched.

Everything works. Fast too!