Installed a new optical drive in my Mac Pro - how do I get it to work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arcsbite, Apr 24, 2007.

1. arcsbite Guest

I just installed a Samsung D162C DVD Burner in my mac pro but I'm unsure...

it ejects fine and reads disks but it doesn't give the option to use it to burn, in Disk utility, Disco or Toast.

It used to be used in my PC to read xbox360 disks so it is "flashed with Kreon firmware" apparently

do I need new firmware or drivers for it?
    I've googled loads but can only seem to find windows updates for it.

I've only ever used consumer macs and pro portables so this is my first venture into user upgrading beyond RAM and HDD's
    thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

If you've got the special firmware on the drive for Xbox360 backups, you should know how to re-flash the drive back to its original firmware.

Have you considered installing Boot Camp and Windows XP to re-flash the drive in Windows?

4. arcsbite thread starter Guest

lamina - I didn't flash it to rip games, I have no idea when it comes to firmware and things for dvd drives

5. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

you need patchburn. I use often, and it works like a charm. try it and tell us what happens.

6. arcsbite thread starter Guest

I'm running patchburn, but it's only seeing my Apple/Sony optical drive
    the sansumg drive is connected properly, it ejects when I option/eject and I can run Cd's and DVD's from it

but it doesn't appear on the "connected CD/DVD devices" list in patchburn :(

7. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

I know that this seems like a silly question, but since the ATA bus in the Mac Pro isn't plug 'n play, have you restarted since you installed the drive? (Hopefully, the computer was off to begin with).

If you had the computer off when you were installing the drive (or have restarted since) then you will want to flash the firmware back to the samsung version to make it work.

If you don't have the firmware, contact samsung and they will hook you up :)

8. arcsbite thread starter Guest

I shut down the machine and installed the optical drive the ay the manual told me to
    I made sure the jumper was on "cable selecT" and then I booted the machine up.
    it's since been restarted about 10 times (new achine..lots of software instal and restarts)

do you nkow if it's possible to flash firmware in OS X? or do I need to go back to my windows machine to do it

thank you for the help

9. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

oh i'm sure there's a way of doing it on your mac pro, but before we get to that, open System Profiler (Applications > Utilities) and click on the ATA tab in the left column. tell us what you see.

10. arcsbite thread starter Guest

System profiler shows :

ATA BUS >
    OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A
    TSSTcorpDVD-ROM SH-D162C

the Optiarc is the Apple/sony included optical drive
    the other is my samsung, it wasn't showing in system profiler last night.
    my new memory arrived today and I installed it (went from 2x15 to 2x512 and 2x1GB) so not sure if that did anything

so yes, it appears in there, but still not in disco, toast, Disk utility or even Patchburn 4

11. arcsbite thread starter Guest

I booted into XP and uploaded the TS03 firmware from sansungs support page and i'm still gettin nowhere..

..any ideas?