Installed a new screen on my Black Macbook and now having issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jroberts1023, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jroberts1023 macrumors newbie

I had a really unfortunate situation happen where my screen on my black macbook was cracked pretty bad. When I looked into the cost of having it fixed it was like $750 or so at the apple store. After looking further I found that I could buy the part for $95 so I did and decided to just walk through a tutorial and replace it myself. Once I got it all taken apart and the old screen out, I plugged up the new screen... At first it was great, but, before I got it all back together I noticed that on the screen where ever there is any whitespace I have light gray vertical lines and an outlining glow around the mouse. Does anyone have any idea of what this would be from? I figured when the screen got busted it may have had something else busted in there too and beings I already have the thing taken apart I might as well see if there's anything I can do from here with everyones help before I put it all back together....

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What screen model did you actually buy?

I'm sure L.A Rossman will come along shortly and may be able to help you if you can provide that data.

You may have just bought a really cheap/knockoff screen, or it could be faulty.

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Hi.

Please remove the LCD, and take a picture of the back, and a few closeups of the labels. It is quite possible you bought a poor quality "compatible" knockoff.

A common practice is to put the name & model of the specific LCD you want all over a website or an ad, and then in fine print inside an image(so you can't hit ctrl-F in firefox and type "compatible" and find it), say that they send you a 100% compatible LCD of a different model. This is how a lot of vendors pass off getting you poor quality product.

I have had this happen numerous times from blisscomputers. I would have a bar down the left corner of the LCD that was 1/4" wide, so the whole image was shifted - kind of like the adjustment you see on old CRTs where you turn the knob and the image moves to the right.

I've also had colors completely washed out.

It is highly unlikely you were shipped a Chi Mei model, since that was only used in a very short run of early 2006 macbooks.

If yours says AU Optronics B133EW01, and has black and white inverter board wires, it should be good.

If yours says Samsung LTN133W1-L01, and has black and grey inverter wires, it should be good.

If yours says LG Philips LP133WX1(TL)(A1) or LP133WX1(TL)(N3) (this one is a newer edition but just as fine) and has yellow and pink inverter wires, you should be good.

If it has a specific model name, but the inverter board wires don't match - you got ripped off. The label was put onto another knockoff LCD. If you got one of the above models, and it's bad, it is most likely just a lemon from the supplier.

One great way to tell is to try turning the brightness up and down with tiger. If it has one of the above model names on it but the brightness controls won't work with OSX 10.4, then you got a knockoff.

Unfortunately the newer version of the LG Philips LP133WX1(TL)(A1), the N3, doesn't allow the brightness to be adjusted with tiger. In this case, I try to be fair and offer an upgrade, because using old LCDs that actually cost more due to their rarity that are older just doesn't make sense.

If it is not one of the above models, now you know why it sucks. Get it replaced as soon as possible. If you paid with paypal, anything short of filing a claim and escalating it to a dispute will have you dealt with as slowly as possible, since they will already have your money.

Good luck.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

:( no picture of the LCD?

Each person who outs a shoddy supplier ensures another person doesn't use them.

5. soulbwoy macrumors newbie

I replaced a cracked LG Phillips LP133WX1 (TL)(A1) with a LP133WX1 (TL)(C1) that doesn't say phillips. It works fine except for the brightness control. is this some kind of knockoff? Would upgrading to leopard help me fix this.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It's not a knockoff. It's just a different revision screen.

The same goes for the (TL)(N3). You need to install Leopard to get the brightness control working again.

I try as hard as I can to see out these old revisions so I don't have to offer OS upgrades if they have tiger, but half the suppliers out there will send me whatever they feel like, and the other half don't even know what they're sending me. I make enough of a scene that they now know better. :D

The brightness is unacceptably blown out & blinding on these at default for reading text.