Installed a Seagate Momentus XT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by falconeight, Apr 4, 2011.

1. falconeight Guest

falconeight

In my 2011 I5 MBP 13: I knew it wouldn't speed up the computer drastically but I wanted a bigger HD and the 4gb ssd is a bonus. I replaced a stock 320GB, and also bought 8GB of ram. My boot up time prior to installing the new HDD was averaging 1:15 with the Hybrid drive I am averaging :40. I haven't installed the ram yet I want to see the improvements in stages. I know I could of gone with a SSD but I wanted 500 or more GB and didn't want to spend the money on a SSD and or remove the optical drive. $90.00 for the Hybrid and $75 for the Ram for me is the most cost effective way to improve performance and storage.

2. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If you have no issues, the Momentus XT is an excellent drive. Some users have a flawless experience, others have had issues. It sounds like your is working fine.
    $90 is a good price too. :)

3. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Ya I while doing my research it was hard to actually throw down the money. I glad I did though its a pretty zippy drive.

4. boylerman macrumors member

I went the exact same route with my 2011 13" i7. Haven't had any issues with the Momentus, and with the 8gb of memory, Parallels runs really well.

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Same here in my MacBook Pro 13" i5. No issues.

6. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

did you guys update firmware I did and it was easy.

7. macwong macrumors newbie

Just upgraded to SD25, now I can feel a strong vibration whenever I put my palm on my MBP. The SD25 solved most of the problem but new problem seem to pop up, hope Seagate can come out a solution fast.

8. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

After installing sd25 the boot time dropped to 35 seconds I don't hear any buzzing other than on startup.

9. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Im loving this HDD my boot up times after a day now average 32 seconds and everything loads quick. Its not extremely faster but noticeable.