Installed a SSD in my MacBook and...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Allusion, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Allusion macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2008
    Overall I'm pretty impressed.

I didn't bother going with the stock SSD option, instead I opted for an aftermarked pick.

I ended up ordered a OCZ Core Series SSD. These drives for whatever reason on the forums get a lot of flak, but more of the reviews of them are pretty solid.

Got everything loaded on there, Office, my iTunes music, etc. and it flies. I can go from off to Safari opened in about 20 seconds or so.

Not much of a change in battery life, but the laptop doesn't heat up all. It runs cool as heck.

Kind of an unprofessional review, but if you were considering going with a SSD, the OCZ drives are reasonably priced for the capacity.
  2. wesleyJ macrumors member

Jun 6, 2004
  3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2008
    wow you have a much faster boot time than i do. i counted 32s to opening safari. could you run an xbench of the ssd so i can compare? i am using the same drive.
  4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

Nov 16, 2006
    Bay Area
    OCZ makes good SSDs and bad SSDs.

The core series are fast overall, but the random speeds SUCK. Good luck installing programs, it will take 10x longer than a regular sata drive.
  5. Allusion thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2008
    fuzzie, I will look for this xbench program and get back to you.

taylor- To be honest, the only program I installed so far is Office 2008 and it actually seemed to install *faster* on the SSD than on the default drive that came with it. Maybe it was just dumb luck or my perception was off, but I did not notice any real time increase in the installation.

I *did* however, notice it took a tiny bit longer to import all my songs into iTunes (maybe about an extra minute or two for importing about 1100 songs), not a large enough jump for me to really get upset about at the time.

However, I will admit I am highly interested in the newer Samsung and Intel drives, assuming they come to a reasonable price point soon.

wesley- When I got mine, it was 170 with a 70 rebate (on newegg) for a 64GB drive.

Admittingly when I got the drive and installed it, I didn't think I'd like it, however, after playing around with it for a bit, I'm highly enjoying it so far.
  6. southerndoc macrumors 65816

May 15, 2006
    I'm curious how well FileVault will work with an SSD.