Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valente11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Hello,

Recently, I've been trying to overclock my 2010 iMac. It's got an and 5750(5870 mobility) and I downloaded the latest catalyst control center drivers so I could use the overdrive utility. Unfortunately, CCC didn't have the performance tab where I could play around with AMD's override.

So I went to AMD's site and downloaded Overdrive separately. I Installed, then I went to run the application and it crash dumped. "Okay," I think. "Not good, I'll just go ahead and uninstall the program."

No luck. I can't get past the log-in screen before windows crashes again. Unfortunately, because its an iMac, I have apple's bluetooth keyboard, which my computer doesn't recognize during the "safe mode" restart, so I can't choose "start in safe mode"

Is there any other way to delete that files through Mac OS? I'm trying to get rid of this application without having to delete the entire partition, as my windows licenses are just about used up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Valente

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I did this the other day. Doh!
You need to safe boot Windows, navigate to startup items for your account in the Manage Computers view and delete the OOD or something. (Forgot the name but it is obvious. Boot back into Windows normally and run the Uninstaller through the Add/ delete Program control panel as you can't do this while safe booted. Otherwise it will just blue screen forever.
When you get everything back go to the settings option in CCC and toggle "advanced menus" to turn on the included overdrive utility. The stand alone obviously is not compatible.

Valente11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Success! I was able to do it just as you said and deleted the overdrive. Thank you very much.

I'm still unable to get the CCC to show the performance tab. I've downloaded the latest version (11.10) and no luck. I've tried switching between standard and advanced mode etc. I might try downloading a different, earlier version.

Is it possible that the imac's 5750 doesn't support overclocking?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Success! I was able to do it just as you said and deleted the overdrive. Thank you very much.

I'm still unable to get the CCC to show the performance tab. I've downloaded the latest version (11.10) and no luck. I've tried switching between standard and advanced mode etc. I might try downloading a different, earlier version.

Is it possible that the imac's 5750 doesn't support overclocking?

Glad you understood as I was a jumbled and didn't have all the correct names of things. Super!
If you are toggling the advanced menu option and it is not showing up you may want to re-install. Uninstall completely, reboot, re-install, reboot. I had the issue as well with 11.10 preview 3 but the option came back after 11.10 proper. I have a 5870. All cards should be supported.
Incidentally my not having the option in CCC is how I got my installation all messed up as you have done. I went and got the stand alone "Overdrive" and crash city. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.