Installed an SSD in my 2.53 Ghz mid-2009 MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asinghal31, Sep 26, 2012.

1. asinghal31 macrumors member

I installed a Samsung 830 128GB SSD in my MBP on Sunday. I installed the SSD in the HDD spot and moved the HDD to where the SuperDrive was. After I turned it the laptop back on, somehow the wifi had stopped working and the Airport icon said "No hardware installed" so now my MBP is in the Apple store for a couple days getting the airport card replaced. Well one other thing I also noticed is that when I turned it on, the fan was constantly running even if there was nothing running. I tried resetting the SMC with no results. Does anyone with experience have any idea how to fix this? Also, does anyone know how installing an SSD caused the airport card to go bad since the card is located in the screen casing? Any help would be much appreciated since I still have a couple modifications to make when I get it back from the Apple store (switching the base 250GB HDD to a 1TB and upgrading the RAM to 8GB).

----------

And to anyone wondering, I'm running OS X and all the applications on the SSD for faster boot/application load times and then using the 1TB HDD for all my storage (music, movies, school documents, etc).

2. snoylekim macrumors member

more than likely you messed up the wi fi when moving the HDD to the optical drive bay than installing the SSD .. the SSD/Original HD isn't really near the Wi fi as I recall ..

I've put 830s in 2 2009 MBPs with no follow up issues..I've never moved the HD to the optical, so..but that's where I'd look..some one more knowledgeable about the guts can chime in , or you can check out the OWC videos .. they show sort of what's where as part of their instructions..