Installed but no admin user exists

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Supra James, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Supra James macrumors newbie

Hi All, I am so confused right now. Just installed Mavericks onto an empty Firewire drive and have an issue. I'll run through my situation:

- MacBook Pro (non Retina) running Mountain Lion from internal SSD

- Downloaded Mavericks from the App Store last night, just after release

- Used createinstallmedia binary in downloaded Bundle to create a bootable USB stick

- Connected a blank FireWire drive to use as the install destination

- Booted with USB stick and selected to install Mavericks onto the blank FireWire drive.

So far, so simple. This all went well, it's the next part I just cannot understand.

During the install process I went away from my desk for about 45 minutes. On my return. Mavericks was a few seconds away from completing the install. I watched it reboot and it came back to a Mavericks login screen WITH MY NAME ALREADY POPULATED.

Now, at this point I hadn't gone through any sort of welcome / setup screen so am completely baffled as to how the system knew my name.

Wait, it gets worse. What's the password to login? I have no idea! I try password from Mountain Lion, and my apple ID password, neither of which work. In a flash of madness I type my first name, all in lower case. This works. WTF?

So, I'm in, using a password that I've NEVER used before.

I go into account settings to try and see what's going on. There is only one account on the machine, and that's the one with my full name. The account type is "Standard". There is NO account with Admin access.

So, fellow forumites, I am baffled. What's going on here? Did the installer get hard-coded to my account details as I downloaded it from the App Store? How did the password get set to my first name? Why is there no Administrator account?

I am able (and have) booted back to Mountain Lion with no problems so it's not like it's "upgraded" that drive.

Anyone got any ideas? :)

2. ctms777 macrumors newbie

I’ve got the exact same problem, but I don’t know what to do either!