installed car aux input mount and use handsfree w/ car speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nelly41, Sep 2, 2009.

1. nelly41 macrumors regular

Ok, first off the title might sound a little bit more weird. I was having a hard time creating a title. :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is for those who don't have an aux input in their car. me and my buddy installed an aux input mount over the weekend and i'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. My car stereo didn't have an input, but it did have the rca connection in the back. i did some research and give credit to this guy for teaching me how to do the install. its not too difficult to do.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/how-add-aux-line-panel-mount-jack-64745/

after that was done, i hooked up my phone and everything worked great. it wasn't til i had my gf give me a call to see if i would hear her thru the car speakers when i realized that i could use this as a handsfree system kinda like when cars have the built in bluetooth. so i went to bestbuy and got a monster sonitalk microphone adapter. the great thing about this is that it has the button on the mic so you can play/pause your music, answer/end calls, and hold on the button for voice controls (3gs)! overall the quality of sound with the phone calls isn't bad. the only thing is that the person on the other end does hear an echo when they talk. here are some pics, sorry for the night time shots. lol.

Aux input:
    [​IMG]

With mic adapter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Since you already have an aftermarket head unit, I'm surprised you didn't just replace it with one that that had an aux input and possibly bluetooth built in so you didn't have to drill into your vehicle. I just installed one that is a double din that has an aux input, ipod usb plugin, and bluetooth for $250. I'm sure you can find one for cheaper that is a single din.

At least your happy with the results though and that's all that matters. Sometimes it's more fun to be creative and do something yourself then it is to do it the simple way, especially if it saves you quite a bit of money.

3. josta macrumors member

out of curiosity, which double din stereo did you install? I'm looking to replace my factory stereo and need a double din, hopefully one that isn't too expensive.....

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

5. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

I should of mentioned in my post that the aftermarket headunit was free and given to me from my friend. LOL. As for the dash that was drilled into, its an aftermarket one from crutchfield. I still have my stock stereo with no holes in my garage.

6. Ross11988 macrumors newbie

I am in a pickle myself. I have a 2 din monsoon in my 04 grand prix. I want to replace it but after everything it's going to cost so much because of the adaptor needed for the steering wheels controls and everything everything else that's connected through the radio in the car