Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I installed a EVO 850 SSD in a Inateck FE2002 enclosure. This is a USB 3 enclosure. As soon as I hooked it up, before I even installed macOS on the drive, my Magic Mouse (Bluetooth) started stuttering and lagging. Everything was working fine before I hooked up the new drive. The mouse is about 2' away from the Mini. After I installed the OS and booted the drive, my mouse is still occasionally lagging and stuttering. Anyone have this problem and can it be solved?

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
As soon as I hooked it up, before I even installed macOS on the drive, my Magic Mouse (Bluetooth) started stuttering and lagging.

Yes! Radio interference between USB3 devices and Bluetooth devices on some Apple products is a known problem. I don't think there's a perfect fix, other than keeping the USB 3 devices as far away as possible. :(

Here's Apple's support page for the problem:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203729

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Some thoughts...

- Try the drive in a different USB port on the back of the Mini.

- Relocate the physical location of the drive to different locations to see if that affects mouse performance.

- Try a LONGER USB connecting cable from the Mini to the drive.

The idea is to move the source of the interference from the bluetooth receiver.
A short "relocation" may make a significant improvement.

Is the Inateck enclosure plastic?
You might also try a -metal- USB3 enclosure...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.