Installed Firefox where did it go???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sundance2007, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Sundance2007 macrumors regular

I am as new as you can get to Mac. Just purchased a Macbook and got it today. First thing I have to do is get Firefox going. Found the mac version and downloaded it and I seem to have installed it ....I think but can't find it. Where was it installed (I did nothing except install so where ever default is that is where it went)? Also how do I get a icon for it on the desktop and/or in the tool bar thing at the bottom?

Thanks

Steve

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It should be in the applications folder. Just grab the icon and pull it into the dock.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Ok, what you get when you've opened all the downloaded files is a grey .dmg file, and a white drive icon. You can run Firefox from inside the drive, but to install it, drag the Firefox icon from the drive to the Applications folder in Finder then drag the drive and the .dmg file to the trash :)

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And that folder should be on the desktop.

5. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

Bookmarks

OK, Thanks, now it's up and running but I don't see bookmarks, prefs or any pull down menus. Where is this stuff or how do I enable it if that is what I need to do.

Thanks

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I believe you can import the first time around very easily because it will ask you if you want to.

BTW, the "toolbar" at the bottom is called the Dock. ;):)

Edit: I realize you probably missed the first opportunity to import, so go to:

File:

Import:

then you'll see this dialog box. I think you know what to do from there right? :)

Attached Files:

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Right at the top of the screen...having the menus there saves a lot of screenspace when you have many applications running, and makes it easier when you get used to it :)

May I ask why you want Firefox instead of Safari?

9. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

I have been using it for a while on my PC and Linux machines. Also I love the addons like the one that allows me to keep my bookmarks synced between all my machines. I would just as soon stay with what I know and not learn Safari at this time. Maybe down the road I will try Safari.

Thanks for your help.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well personally I like Safari better, so give it a try. Safari 3 is very nice. :)