Installed Intered SSD on mac mini 2014 Speeds SLOOOOW

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by applelover4u, May 24, 2018.

1. applelover4u macrumors 6502

Installed a Sandisk SSD in a mac mini 2014 and my speeds seems sloooooow

Disk test speed Im only getting around 150MB write and around 500MB read speed

Attached Files:

• main.png
      main.png
      File size:
      684.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

No idea what is wrong, but the 2014 Mini should be a lot better than that (if you use the right kind of ssd). i have a 2012 mini with original Apple internal SSD and this is what I get. I'd expect your 2014 mini to be about 50% faster than my 2012 since it has a faster interface.

[​IMG]

3. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Must be the brand "sandisk" smh

4. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

sandisk makes many tiers of ssds at varying performance levels and prices. what model did you install?

5. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

the plus, I think its the basic one. Says
    FASTER BOOT-UPS, SHUTDOWNS, AND APP RESPONSE
    High sequential read speeds of up to 535MB/s and sequential write speeds of up to 450MB/s translate into better performance for everything you do, performing up to 20X faster than a typical hard disk drive.

So it should have no problem doing higher on write. All of them says same read and write speed
    https://www.sandisk.com/home/ssd/ssd-plus

6. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

hmmm. even user benchmarks show better performance than what you're getting. seems most people get results in the mid-300s with this drive

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/131770/SanDisk-SDSSDA480G

might want to contact sandisk support and see what they say

7. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Killerbob

Check if TRIM is turned on, and try changing that. It probably isn't, and you might gain from enabling it...

8. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

This is what I get on that same mini with an external USB 3.0 1TB Samsung T3 SSD. No trim there but I'm getting write speeds twice as fast as the OP's internal SSD.

[​IMG]

9. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Trim was enabled
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2018 ---

I bought the sandisk ultra 3d today to replace the sandisk plus. I’m restoring my backup now and will do a black magic test to see if speed will change or stay the same

The ultra 3D suppose to be faster and have more cache etc

10. applelover4u, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018

applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, May 25, 2018 ---

So i exchanged for the sandisk ultra 3d and my speeds are blazing now! Picture below
    Im going to enable trim now

Write to my external WD My Passport Ultra is slow though

I assume this is normal correct since it is not SSD? 2nd pic on right

Attached Files:

11. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

I hate to burst your bubble... that's certainly better but those speeds aren't "blazing", they are the same as my 2012 Mini. But the 2014 Mini has a much faster interface and I think the SSD should clock about the same as my 2013 MacBook Air: ~700 MB/sec write and more than 700MB/sec read. I don't know a lot about the internals of the Mini, but have read that you need to get the correct kind of SSD and connect it a certain way to acheive this kind of result.

As a practical matter, the speeds you're getting are still pretty fast and most people probably would not notice the difference in day to day use.

I also have a Passport Ultra, but mine got about 100MB/sec the last time I clocked it so that seems quite slow also.

12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The write speeds to the original Sandisk SSD were normal -- right where they should have been.
    Reads were a little on the slow side, but still acceptable.

You'll notice that with the replacement drive reads are essentially the same.

The drive you have inside won't affect the speeds of an externally-connected drive.

13. applelover4u, May 25, 2018

applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

I knew somebody was going to say something about me saying blazing.

The 700 speeds uses pcie ssd blades that is why the speed is higher. I plan to put a stick in for my OS only.

When I said blazing speed I was saying in reference to my past speeds before the upgrade so to me it’s blazing fast. And I certainly notice the blazing speed and loving it .

I’m going to get a pci ssd next to put in the mac mini to go along with my ssd drive then fusion them both

But for right now I’m loving my blazing speed and I don’t think the drive will clock over 550mb because the specs says that is the max but I’m happy with it now. I don’t need much more speed
    The write speeds were slow and not normal because others reported faster speeds on the same drive

My read speed is a little higher now but really it’s faster then my other sandisk because of the technology and faster burst speeds with this new sandisk and it has double the cache and advanced 3D technology even though the benchmark test shows same speed .

My other San disk write speed was barely pushing 100mb after more test

14. treekram, May 25, 2018

treekram macrumors 68000

You are referring to the PCIe interface with 700MB/sec speeds. The 2014 Mini also has a SATA3 interface and the OP's link in post #5 indicates that's he's referring to a SATA3 SSD.

SanDisk, in my mind, has confusing branding. So they'll have a SSD name, say, "Plus" but they might have variations on the model over the years and it may not be clear which specific model it is. It seems that the latest model of the "Plus" can be slower than what people expect of a SSD from what I read on Amazon reviews. SSD capacity also plays a role. In the SanDisk SSD Plus link in post #5, SanDisk itself says the 120GB model has 70% the write performance of the 240GB model. To me, 150MB/sec write is slow. A 5400rpm external USB drive which I keep connected to one of my computers has 100MB/sec read/write speeds. As I've said in other posts, Blackmagic is a simple benchmark but still, the 150MB/sec write for a SSD, given that there's no other disk activity taking place on properly functioning system, is slow to the point where I would probably return it given a similar situation to what the OP is facing.

CORRECTION. My external HDD (USB) is a 7200rpm 2.5" 500GB drive which I bought as a bare drive. Other (almost certainly 5400rpm) HDD's which I bought as external drives actually get faster readings - 120MB/sec for a 2tb 2.5", 140MB/sec for a 4tb 3.5". For an encrypted 2tb external drive I get 60MB/sec so that can play a role in the slower HDD speed. The 7200rpm is an older drive - so age may play a role or maybe some manufacturers, knowing the popularity of this type of benchmark, tune it to perform well - I don't know.