Installed Leopard. How do I get iChat info back from Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vegeta-san, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

I have Tiger cloned (using Carbon Copy Cloner) on an external hard drive. On TIger, my iChat AIM had an extensive profile (AIM profile). Under Leopard's iChat, it's gone...Completely blank. What can I replace in Leopard's iChat or iChat Application Support folder from my Tiger backup to get my profile back in its entirety?

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

AIM profiles and buddy lists are stored server-side (on AOL's servers) so it seems unlikely that your upgrade would have caused this.

This is a totally off-the-wall guess, but... do you also have a .Mac account? It's possible that Leopard's installer has "helpfully" set up your iChat to be using your .Mac account and not your real AIM account information. I'd double-check the account settings in iChat and make sure it hasn't done that.

Even a totally fresh install of iChat/AIM should inherit all your profile info and buddy list entries from the server as soon as it connects.

3. vm7118 macrumors regular

http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/aim-support/39705-aim-buddy-info-stored-server.html

that link describes aim buddy profile storage. in short, buddy lists are and always have been stored on AIM servers, but profiles behave erratically unless you use AIM 6.x. im not sure how ichat broadcasts itself to AIM, but it's most likely as aim 5.x or not a version of aim at all.

aim 5.x uploads your profile to aim servers on sign on and when editing the profile through aim 5.x. this profile, whether it is blank or not, overwrites the profile that may/may not be saved on aim servers. so if ichat registers itself as aim 5.x (probably) then it overwrote your saved aim profile with a blank one. aim 6.x is smart enough to not do this... but i'd say that's the only reason i would ever use aim 6.x, and it's not enough to move me from adium :)

copy over all the ichat related files from these locations and you should be good:

/Home/Library/iChat
    /Home/Library/ApplicationSupport/iChat
    /Home/Library/Preferences (anything iChat related)

i got this info from this link:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1872713

read through it. it discusses migrating apps from PPC to intel macs, but the principles are the same as intel to intel.

4. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey you two, I really appreciate the responses. I just decided to give up and rebuild my profile myself. I initially wanted the Tiger profile also because I got a hyperlink working in there, but upon testing it in Leopard's iChat, it looks like Apple has broken that functionality (not like they ever had it, since I had to pull some weird voodoo s*it to get it working). But I appreciate the help guys!

5. John Musbach macrumors regular

Sounds like you did a clean install? If so use Migration Assistant in Applications>Utilities to move that data over.