Installed leopard. SLOOOWWWW STARTUP.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevey500, Nov 8, 2007.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Okay, I installed leopard, I did an upgrade. It runs wonderful! I couldn't be happier, my macbook pro flys!! ...
    My only issue is that...

every once in a while starting from being completely shut off, I boot up the machine.... Apple logo on grey background with spinning loading logo... for a lot longer that it should be...

Back when I had tiger installed... My macbook pro would boot from Power off to logged in and ready to go in 14 seconds. . . Not lying.

It's now taking up to 3 minutes to start up... After it starts up and is logged in, it runs like a champ, snappy and fast!...

I'm runnin a 2.16Core2duo macbook pro 15" with 2gb of ram...

What should I be checking for ... ? Where do I start?

I know my /Users/steve/(or root /Library and System/Library)library>Startupitems folders are pretty dang cleared up...

I do still have a 20gb partition with windows vista installed(as I have had on there forever), I don't know if that may be causing a bootcamp incompatibility with the new Leopard os or what, because when I'm in leopard and if I go to my "startup disk" option in system preferences, my windows installation doesn't show up.. but It DOES still boot to windows just perfectly fine when holding Option on startup/Restart.

Thanks for any input...

2. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

This happens to me as well, but i dont have anything under startup applications and don't have a windows partition either. Its a mystery to be sure.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

When my Linux server gets shut down improperly, it usually takes a long time for it to startup. It has to check files etc. Have you repaired the disk permissions?

Cheers.
    :):apple:

5. samuraikiss macrumors regular

I had the same problem, but I resolved it by backing up my computer through Time Machine on an external hard drive and doing a clean install. The start up stayed excruciatingly slow for the following day -- because of Spotlight indexing, I think? -- and has increased in speed since then. It's worth a try.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Try booting up in verbose mode and see what is taking it so long. And look for any errors.