Installed Linux - Can't Recover

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RJnOC, Jun 3, 2016.

1. RJnOC macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro that I installed linux on. I wiped the drive and installed from a USB drive. Now the system boots up to the linux grub menu, but dies when trying to launch the OS.

Now I have no way to reinstall linux or get back to the OS X recovery screen. Nothing happens when I press Command R or any other key combination after power on. I just get the linux grub menu.

Any ideas how I can get the system to allow me to boot from the USB?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Boot up from your system disks that originally came with your MBP. Cmd-r works if you were on a newer version of OSX that created a recovery partition. If you wiped that out as part of installing Linux, you have no choice but to go back the system disks. The internet recovery is not available on your machine.

As for help with linux, I recommend you visit the specific distro's site on help with installing it on your Mac. There's so many flavor's of Linux, its best to reach out to the specific distro's support for help

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

You didn't install Linux in legacy mode, did you? When you first booted the live Linux USB, did you choose the EFI or Windows (Mac sees Linux usb drive as Windows)?
    I am afraid you installed Linux in legacy but Macs can't boot pure legacy operating systems. I may be wrong though.